Some info on doing a setup like this?

Participant count
  • Participant list

TheJuggla1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Surrey BC
My current setup is Alpine head unit(Not sure on model, one of the better ones) 2 15" L5s a 500W JL amp running two 6x9s bridged mode with a kinetic battery however I've had this for two years and I am looking to invest(a lot) into a more unique setup as I really enjoy this one, not looking to reuse any of this.(not doing any online sales so don't ask)

Short version:

I want to do a setup with Low, "mid-low" and mid woofers along with tweeters and/or possible horns and super tweeters and I am looking for some info on how to setup like this and recommendation on equipment. The only thing I am completely set on is the solo X 18 for the "low" sub

My vehicle is a Suburban, which has room(where the stock stereo was) for tweeters and mids in the front door and room for mids in the back doors. I was wanting to hopefully fill those, possibly just putting tweeters(Might be able to fit small horns?) were the mid ranges would of been, I don't expect to "conseal" everything I want to put into it where the stock system was. I know that more than 2 speakers doesn't really make it sound better, but I wanted to try and have some near the back too for when I have people in it(obvously I won't have it cranked) so it won't just be mostly music up front and not really able to hear it at the back.(Don't forget, this thing is a lot of real estate)

I've looked through some setups and gotten ideas what I wanted to do for my setup was have seperate woofers for low, mid-lows(correct term?) and mids, then do tweeters and/or possibly horns. I haven't looked much into horns or super tweeters so I don't know a lot and was looking for info on them, I heard they need specials amps or something like that?

From what I understand, I want to use crossovers/equalizers to keep the speakers from doing the same notes and canceling each other out? Is there possibly a high-end head unit designed for this kind of setup? Is there any other devices I can use to help improve the quality of sound?

I am not really set on any speaker brand or amp, besides the fact that I WANT the 18" Solo X for my "low" woofer, I really love my two 15" L5s I currently have for the deep lows they do which i why I am set on this sub. I know that's a sub that will cost way more to power it than the sub cost itself but I am willing to go through with it.

Keep in mind I am not looking to cheap out, but not spend anything insane like $10,000 for a pair of speakers.

What is a good size woofer for some "mid-lows" 10"s? 12"s? 8"s? Would 2 pairs each pair in a box work out? Or would it be pointless to add more woofers not in the same box?

Basically the same questions for mid woofers as the mid-low, what size, how many is good? also I was thinking it would be way better to put them into boxes instead of the doors?

I want to be able to "somewhat" rival the 18" with both mid-low and mid woofers, which I why I am wanting to add a bunch, I don't want a really powerful low sub and lacking mids, plus I love mids and would really like some speakers that can do them really loud.

as for the 18":

I've had a look at the warhorse amp, I have seen it priced anywhere between 2-10 grand online , my choice on the amp isn't really final due to lack of actually knowing how much it will cost.(And not really needing a warhorse) I know I've seen it for 2grand online new, but I don't really "trust" that site I seen it on as other sites advertise it up to even 10 grand. Until I know the actual price on it.

I've also heard about being able to run each coil off an amp(Correctly setting the gains so each coil gets the same watts) or two amps synced together. So I was also thinking about using two 2000 Watt Alpines instead, plus the warhorse seems more like an amp for comp although, it would be cool to own. I am assuming say if each coil were 2 Ohms, you'd hook up each coil like it was a single sub? No I won't be using this sub anywhere near max regularly, I just want to be able to "show it off" to friends ect. no point in buying this and not putting a decent ammount of power into it.

Any recommendations on equipment or info on a setup like this is appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.