Some impedance and wiring configuration questions.

Participant count
  • Participant list

bustaplz
10+ year member

Pissing off the world.
I've got a new amp on the way, trying to decide how to wire my subs.

The amp is rated for 150x4@4 300x4@2 600x2@4.

I'll be using two channels for my subs, they are 4ohm DVC. Right now I have them running at 600w@1ohm. I've searched around a bit and while there is quite a bit of disagreement on the subject of impedance in relation to SQ, I'm wondering if it would even make a difference if the amp is going to see a 2ohm load on each channel. I can wire the VCs in series for 8ohms on each driver and then wire them parallel for a final impedance of 4ohms. OR I can wire the VCs parallel for 2ohms each and then wire them series.

Would the impedance of the drivers change anything with the amp seeing the same load? My common sense tells me both configurations would be the same, but I'm no expert on speaker design. Do the characteristics of a DVC speaker change purely based on the wiring of the coils?

Also, just so I don't have to make another post. I plan on wiring 2 sets of speakers to the other two channels. What is the best way to do this, the simple thing to do would probably be just put both sets of speaker wires into the same terminals but is this the best way?

I think you have a good Question...

I'd kinda like to know if the subs characteristics change also ?

I have the same ? about my DVC 4 ohm Stroker subs, and want to run My ZR1000 to them, or if I should just run Both ZR1000's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Can someone on this board help ??

it will very slightly change the damping value on the amp, but I highly doubt you will hear any difference at all. if you can get the same power bridged as you can by changing the wiring arrangement on the subs and running 1 ohm, then bridge the amp.

it will very slightly change the damping value on the amp, but I highly doubt you will hear any difference at all. if you can get the same power bridged as you can by changing the wiring arrangement on the subs and running 1 ohm, then bridge the amp.

If you are replying to my question:

I've figured out that damping changes with ohm load on amps. But in my setup, the amp will see 2ohms either way, the only difference being the wiring of the voice coils on the subs. It's got me pretty confused!

I've got a new amp on the way, trying to decide how to wire my subs.
The amp is rated for 150x4@4 300x4@2 600x2@4.

I'll be using two channels for my subs, they are 4ohm DVC. Right now I have them running at 600w@1ohm. I've searched around a bit and while there is quite a bit of disagreement on the subject of impedance in relation to SQ, I'm wondering if it would even make a difference if the amp is going to see a 2ohm load on each channel. I can wire the VCs in series for 8ohms on each driver and then wire them parallel for a final impedance of 4ohms. OR I can wire the VCs parallel for 2ohms each and then wire them series.
It would be more "ideal" to wire each sub's coils in series and then wire the two subs in parallel. Wiring the subs to each other in series leaves the possibility of the subs modulating each other. I consider this more of a theoretical problem than a practical problem though as I've never seen any actual measurements or studies to determine the actual audibility of this issue, and I've never heard anyone complain about it actually audibly affecting their systems performance in practice. So I don't have a problem suggesting wiring subs in series if it's necessary. But if you can avoid it, you might as well as it won't hurt anything to just wire the subs together in parallel rather than series and circumvent the entire issue.

Would the impedance of the drivers change anything with the amp seeing the same load? My common sense tells me both configurations would be the same, but I'm no expert on speaker design.
No

Do the characteristics of a DVC speaker change purely based on the wiring of the coils?
Technically yes. When wired in series Bl doubles, Re quadruples, and Le quadruples compared to wired in parallel. But since the ratios of these parameters stays the same, the Qes & Qts of the driver does not change (neither does Re/Le) ...... so the actual performance is unchanged.

I plan on wiring 2 sets of speakers to the other two channels. What is the best way to do this, the simple thing to do would probably be just put both sets of speaker wires into the same terminals but is this the best way?
Are these front/rear speakers? Or two front left and two front right? Or...?

Front and rear sets. I'm thinking about taking the tweeters off of the rear coaxials and throwing an inductor into their enclosure. LP them around 300hz. They are positioned pretty much perfectly in the rear, right side in line of sight of driver and left in line of sight of passenger. I think that leaving mid-bass duty to them shouldn't throw off imaging too bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.