Some good info from Guss at Ohio generator

sleazebagger
10+ year member

nobody!!!
Madison, WI
I talked with this guy for a bit today about upgrading my alt in my 99 explorer and unfortunately found out that the limit on extra amps for my truck is 1 alt at 225 amps which equates to a maximum of 3000 watts:crying:

He told me that getting two alts on there would be very difficult and very expensive because of the design of this model. So my dreams of 5k in my explorer went down the crapper.

Anyway, He gave me some good advice on doing a big three using a stock alt and told me to use NO bigger than 4 gauge because of to little resistance and the alt burning up because of power/HEAT building up in the first terminal. Says he's seen it a thousand times. So I took the 0 gauge off and replaced it with 4 so it doesnt burn out before I get an HO alt.

He said its fine when going from HO alt to rear batts.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Thats what I thought, but a stock alt isn't suppose to kick out that much power. That's why people cook them all the time, especially when you have a monster 0 gauge allowing to much current that the alt wasn't built to produce without over heating.

Dude's been in the alt/car audio business for 20+ years and that was his advice from seeing it a 1000 times

Thats what I thought, but a stock alt isn't suppose to kick out that much power. That's why people cook them all the time, especially when you have a monster 0 gauge allowing to much current that the alt wasn't built to produce without over heating.
Dude's been in the buisness alt/car audio business for 20+ years and that was his advice
Yup.

Seldom thought about.

I have a 40 amp alt on my 67 falcon running 2 gauge wire for all grounds and everything, and havent had an issue. On my daily driver i had 2 gauge big 3 for the longest time, with only a 63a alt. Never had any issues.

I disagree. I believe most people cook their alts because they are trying to run a sundown-3500 on a stock alt with a single battery.

I just don't see how a bigger wire can effect the alternator. If the wire isn't being used to its full potential, how is this a problem?

I have a feeling this thread will get super long.... n2audio and audiolife where you guys at !!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.