So I'm riding...

Dr. Slam
10+ year member

Slamming hoes n trunks...
Slamming as usual and all of a sudden the music stutters than shuts completely off. Then electrical wiring smoke fills the car for a second. I pull over immediately and check the trunk and then I check under the hood. Nothing even gives the hint of smoking or being burned. I look in the trunk. None of the amps are on. The head unit still cuts on and plays ( no sound ) and I checked the remote wire connection on one of the amps and I'm getting a 13.8 voltage reading but the amps are completely off. I checked the reading of the power / ground terminals of the amps and got a 14.4 reading. so now I'm trying to figure out my next move. Any suggestions???

Also now I hear the relay clicking when I cut the head unit on and off not to say it wasnt before but I might've not noticed it

Slamming as usual and all of a sudden the music stutters than shuts completely off. Then electrical wiring smoke fills the car for a second. I pull over immediately and check the trunk and then I check under the hood. Nothing even gives the hint of smoking or being burned. I look in the trunk. None of the amps are on. The head unit still cuts on and plays ( no sound ) and I checked the remote wire connection on one of the amps and I'm getting a 13.8 voltage reading but the amps are completely off. I checked the reading of the power / ground terminals of the amps and got a 14.4 reading. so now I'm trying to figure out my next move. Any suggestions???
Also now I hear the relay clicking when I cut the head unit on and off not to say it wasnt before but I might've not noticed it
Isn't relay clicking normal? My DC has done this since I owned it.

So I don't understand why the the amps aren't cutting on. Theyre getting voltage on the power, grounds, and remote. Im thinking the head unit blew because for the brief time the smoke came in, it was from / around the vents. But like I said; it still cuts on and the music still shows as playing

Like I said in the first post, I might've not noticed it till there was a problem
The relay is normal unless it was kicking on and off constantly making that noise... Maybe you could take your Headunit out and inspect it for burning? I feel like if you blew a subwoofer you would know it and could smell it in the port and usually amplifiers when they blow get rather smokey you would know if it was one of those versus your headunit well unless it was a short in your amplifier I guess anythings possible check over everything.

I thought about that, gonna try jumping em in the morning. But the smell / smoke came from the vents and all of my amps are fused / wiring fused ( at least 10+ fuses from wiring and amps )

There was no burning smell / smoke coming from under the hood / in the trunk ( where all the amps / subs are located ). Just in the car coming from the heating vents inside the car

I stopped the car immediately when I smelled / saw the smoke and then checked the trunk first then under the hood and there was nothing

I thought about that, gonna try jumping em in the morning. But the smell / smoke came from the vents and all of my amps are fused / wiring fused ( at least 10+ fuses from wiring and amps )
The number of fuses mean absolutely nothing if they're not sized correctly.

Sounds like your HU fried. Mine did a few years ago and it may have came on every once in a while but that thing was done basically.

sounds like something for the hardy boys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

well it sounds like you shorted somthing. pull your sub out of the box. you might have fried a tensil and shorted tha amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.