So I got a new car...

awalbert88
10+ year member

Blame Canada
Haven't been around the forum much in the past few months. Mostly I've been too busy working and getting into trouble to think about car audio much. I got sick of all the little electrical problems that my Audi kept giving me, so I bought a nice 2000 Buick Regal GS. Wonderfully powerful engine, luxurious interior, and surprisingly nice factory sound system. In fact, the only complaint I've got about it is that the factory head unit is pretty picky about what CDs it will play. Anything with minor scratches will skip like a fairy on crack. So basically all of my CDs are unplayable, as they all have light scratches it seems. This was never a problem with my old Rockford Fosgate head unit, which would play pretty much anything you could throw at it. At this point, replacing the whole Monsoon system is out of the question (it would be cheaper to just burn new copies of all my discs and buy a better case for them all). I would also like to retain the steering wheel controls for the head unit. So I suppose my best option is to add a six-disc changer or something along those lines, as I don't believe there are any head units which support the steering wheel controls. Or are there? I've been out of the loop, so any suggestions or advice you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

crutchfield.com its the PAC adapter.. I ordered one recently (its shipping), hopefully it'll work on my car's steering wheel controls (99 grand prix)
I got one of those from best buy for 75 bucks. Works great and easy to install. It has 4 wires to hook up. Ground, remote turn on, constant 12v, and the wire that hooks up to the steering whell controls. After you got the wires figured out it cake to program. Hold in a button and that is about it. If you got any specific questions ask em. installed about 5 of em. One in a grand prix. so yes it will work. You just got to find the wire that is used on the steering wheel that goes in the factory head unit. Mine was purple. You got to mount the IR LED somewhere so that its signal can catch the reciever of the deck.

For your information man, the piece they are referring to is the SWI-X by pac. Its a good quality reliable unit. I install them at work fairly frequently. I have done one or two on the newer regals. As long as your head unit is remote control capable, it should work. You need to your deck remote to program the swi-x. It is really easy once youve done it a couple times.

Have you seen if the laser in the cd player needs to be recalibrated(didnt know the technical term)? My stock radio in my last truck somehow got out of wack. I took it to the dealership and they cleaned it and checked the laser. Played great after that.

Have you seen if the laser in the cd player needs to be recalibrated(didnt know the technical term)? My stock radio in my last truck somehow got out of wack. I took it to the dealership and they cleaned it and checked the laser. Played great after that.
Good idea. I have to go back to sign some other paperwork and get the warranty information setup, so I'll have them take a look when I do that.

you do know the potential of that motor right???
come hang out on the boards at http://www.clubgp.com get that regal runnin 13's with a few hundred bucks... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Oh, I know very much the potential of that beast //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. It was one of the deciding factors in buying the car. It's a bit weird having a FWD near-luxury sedan that can light up the tires the way this thing does. I definately don't want to void my warranty, so mods will be minimal at first, but I know that I'll get the itch to put this car into the 13's. I'm probably going to take it to the track in August or September to see what it can run stock.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

awalbert88

10+ year member
Blame Canada
awalbert88
Lancaster, PA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date