Snake Oil Beleiver

IMO...blind tests...and double blind tests are nothing more than a memory game..like when you play that childhood game with the flash cards and you have to flip them over and remember everytime...
bottome line is...if you can hear a difference..then there is a difference..no if ands or buts about it....and it's not that money = better...I've listend to a $30,000 set of transparent audio speaker cables and was less than impressed with them....

and if you don't know how to listen...what to listen for etc, then no it doesn't make a difference...no difference than putting my grandmother behind the wheel of an enzo....
How do you listen? What exactly are you listening for?

I was gonna try SQ but I am not hearing what everyone else is hearing I guess.

do you know how to listen for depth and width queues...trully?...can you hear when a frequency band is spiked or almost removed with in a group of frequencies? attack and decay on notes both initially and afterwards...phasing?...all these tools are need to properly listen to any audio system..and it takes a long time and dedication to learn the craft...
MY ears are the only tools I need to properly listen to my audio systems and they seem to work fine as I like what I hear //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

How do you actually enjoy what's playing if you listen "that" critically??? Seems like you're on a never ending quest instead of just enjoying the journey...

I've heard HT systems with $1k interconnects, $2k power cables, etc... and it didn't bring any more enjoyment to me than my modest $8k HT set up. But if the owner is happy that's all that matters.

Even if an RTA could show you the difference in cables if your ears don't hear it it's a mute point //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

to be honest...this is were taking the time and go to as many hifi shops as you can and listen to as many setups as you can...each will have the +/-...and then you can start to compare...and once you are able to compare you can then start picking out issues or what is good etc....

Have you noted the frequency at which these factors actually come into play?
Where I work(ed), we have 6 foot power cables that affect the performance of the units we use. When we examined the cables, we could see that they had a nice spide in inductance in the about the 25-30Mhz band. This 6 foot cable did not have any spikes of any sory until these frequencies.

Changing the length of the cable (6ft in our case) is going to change the spike location and amplitude but I seriously doubt it's going to drop into the audible frequency range. This is also talking some ghetto ass power cable and not audio cables which should have a higher strand count which will limit a high frequency roll off.
I have tested many many many many cables in the audible frequency band. And guess what, there are curves in inductance, capacitance, impedance, and phasing. Not spikes, but a few db curves. So if your source is colored by the response of the cable then it goes into a pre-amp than an amp the curves are going to be amplified and become audible.

If YOU like how your systems sounds that's all that matters. How can someone else tell you what you hear, what you like, etc...

These threads are always pointless. Joe Blow has 50+ years experience with xxx equipment, blah blah......but he doens't have MY ears, so he can't tell ME what sounds good to me.

If YOU like how your systems sounds that's all that matters. How can someone else tell you what you hear, what you like, etc...
These threads are always pointless. Joe Blow has 50+ years experience with xxx equipment, blah blah......but he doens't have MY ears, so he can't tell ME what sounds good to me.
Maybe I came over to your house last night and stole your ears... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I think that there is more out there that I am not hearing.

Many people are satisified with running a particular speed, jumping a particular heigth, etc. Then there are others who think this is more out there to be achieved.

I know what sounds good to me, but I think I could change my paradigm of "what sounds good" by learning more and having more experience.

I woudn't put anything super special in a car anyway.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
As far as cables go, I wouldn't put anything even sorta special in the car. In the house, they pretty much fall so far down on the list of things that I doubt I'll ever get to going beyond a basic set of RCAs that get the signal from point A to point B.

I think that if a company really wanted to get themselves entrenched in the high-end cable market, they would make custom spec'd cables for the individual components being connected...

I have tested many many many many cables in the audible frequency band. And guess what, there are curves in inductance, capacitance, impedance, and phasing. Not spikes, but a few db curves. So if your source is colored by the response of the cable then it goes into a pre-amp than an amp the curves are going to be amplified and become audible.
Post your cable test procedure.

I think that there is more out there that I am not hearing.
Many people are satisified with running a particular speed, jumping a particular heigth, etc. Then there are others who think this is more out there to be achieved.

I know what sounds good to me, but I think I could change my paradigm of "what sounds good" by learning more and having more experience.
ignorance is bliss..trust me....you'll never know till you hear when it's right...and after that your quest to obtain that is almost annoying...take for instance car audio..people think they have a great souding system till the go to a major Iasca event and find out they have allot to learn.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

AcidicDreams

10+ year member
I don't need one of these
AcidicDreams
Auburn WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date