Smallish sealed 12"

Participant count
  • Participant list

k5james
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Yuma, AZ
I have a nice Fox Acoustics prefab box that is the perfect size for my truck. I dont want anything larger as I use the truck for tailgating and when I'm done tailgating I stuff everything inside of the truck. I currently run ID OEM Tidal Audio 12s that were a great bargain but I think I want to step up to something a little more high quality. I need two 12s and these are my constraints...

Enclosure - Two 1.25 cft chambers with 6.75" of mounting depth.

Amp - I just bought a PG Ti22000.1 so each sub will be getting about 1k.

I'm leaning towards Sundown SD-3s but thought I'd ask to see if anyone brought anything else interesting up.

I am currently in the same boat looking for 2 quality 12" subs for a Fox Box for my Ram and the DC level 2 is what I am leaning towards.
Yeah, I was checking out the Level 3 earlier today.

I would run a pair of SSA DCONs (you mentioned you wanted high quality, the DCON is fully assembled in the States with the motor and voice being USA made).
DCON 12 Sound Solutions Audio 12" 400W DCON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE

It's a solid built SQ sub that is designed for small/sealed enclosures (that sounds EXACTLY what your looking for).

That's an interesting sub but I've never heard a SSA sub in person. Those are made by FI right?

That's an interesting sub but I've never heard a SSA sub in person. Those are made by FI right?
Ascendant is made by FI.
SSA has there own build house in the USA and they have a website that sells there products along with other respectable brands

I looked at the DCON also but feel that the 2" coil may not dissipate enough heat
USA voice coils can handle much higher temps than off the shelf china coils and the custom design of the DCON helps tremendously with internal cooling/efficency (thats why it's hard to put a heat/wattage limit on well built subs from companies like SSA, Fi, Ascendant, Digital Design; there in a completely different league then brands like Alpine, Kicker, Fosgate, Soundstream).
DCON can easily handle it's 400RMS rating

USA voice coils can handle much higher temps than off the shelf china coils and the custom design of the DCON helps tremendously with internal cooling/efficency (thats why it's hard to put a heat/wattage limit on well built subs from companies like SSA, Fi, Ascendant, Digital Design; there in a completely different league then brands like Alpine, Kicker, Fosgate, Soundstream).
2 inch coil for the power he's running is not an issue at all (I don't understand the concern, a high quality 2 inch coil can easily handle the 500 watts per sub he has on tap).
I actually have 2k on tap. Each sub will be getting 1k, well would if SSA had the coil configuration I need to run at 1 ohm which they unfortunately don't.

I actually have 2k on tap. Each sub will be getting 1k, well would if SSA had the coil configuration I need to run at 1 ohm which they unfortunately don't.
Misread the wattage (assumed 500 each since most of the shallow mount low box size sealed setups you see is lower wattage setups).
For 1K wattage you would want to bump up to the SSA GCON (it's bigger than the DCON but plenty of people still run it 1-1.75ft sealed).

I'm looking at the FI SSD (high qts) and SSA Icon right now. Anything else other than what has been mentioned already?
What electrical upgrades have you made ? (if you don't have an aftermarket alternator then theres no point in jumping to the Icon, the Gcon can easily handle 1000 watts and those with stock alternators won't get that high of wattage on a pair of them)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.