Smallest possible ported box FI Q 12?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeeper2269
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a 2018 Ford F-150 SuperCrew and want to put a ported enclosure behind the passenger seat with the small part of the back seat up.

I currently have a small sealed enclosure and it sounds good. 15”x14”x15”

I just put a 15” Stroker (old school) in a ported box, 21x26x18 and it’s huge. Not only does it take more space up as I anticipated, it is a bit too much.

When I had the FI in a ported enclosure in the trunk of my Lexus IS 350, it was amazing. I don’t have the demensions of that box, but it was a little too big for the truck.

I would like to go a little bit bigger than the sealed box and smaller than the huge box with the Stroker.

Suggestions?

Any size enclosure you do if you do go ported... you'll need a fairly long port to tune it low if you want to port it up to rated power... that sub has some excursion!... how much power you using?

Well... that's not a ton of power, so using a little less port area might be doable (possibly less length). The manufacturer minimum ported volume is 1.8ft3, so I looked at it in Winisd in an even smaller enclosure, 1.6ft3 net to be specific... and using a round to save space, for your power, you could probably get away with 2 ea 3.5" rounds 27" long. That is what sux about round ports, the port area is set and you either get too much area (which translates to an overly long port) or too little and port compression will start to happen possibly. On the other hand a slot can be sized more precisely to your power, but a slot WILL use a buncha more volume as it displaces more. Really, I'd like to know how much space you've got available and what configuration you're lookin' for. What tune you realistically want and how LOW it should go. Giving up volume will severely affect extension if taken too far.

Idk how much space you've got... this was for an F350 behind the center console/drivers seat, so it was really limited on space.

45uDgV.jpg

That one was a mutha to get right... lol

I think 18” front to back (sub facing toward the rear of the cabin)

21” wide (passenger side to driver side)

And 18” tall, max

As close as I can get to this.

You mentioned the power wasn’t as good as I could go. If I could get a little money out of the JBL, what would be better?

I think 18” front to back (sub facing toward the rear of the cabin) 21” wide (passenger side to driver side)

And 18” tall, max

As close as I can get to this.

You mentioned the power wasn’t as good as I could go. If I could get a little money out of the JBL, what would be better?
You start adding power and that'll mean more port area which will add length to tune low. You are looking for sub back towards rear wall port towards passenger door?.. I'm not clear on what tune/ configuration and amount of power your gonna run.

High x-max subs need more port... add real power and the port becomes long as needed area increases.

As close as you could get to what?.. the pic?.. tune?

More info and I might can help... lol

I got this one good to rated power in a VERY small package that's slot ported, minor miracle even tuned fairly low, it will have less extension than a 2ft3 tuned at 32hz for sure but it'll be not bad at all... lol... the driver depth is right at the port wall but even some carpet should hold it off the wall if the given dimensions are correct. Looks like the pole vent is NOT a problem for these anyways... lol

57t3Sq.jpg

You could put a much bigger amp to that sub in that box and it should get pretty loud...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

In this box?..

qxTLy9.jpg

That's designed for up to rated power... personally I'd go with at least a 2K up to 2.5K amp, maybe more... what can your electrical support?

I honestly don’t know what to upgrade for electrical. It is a 2018 Ford F-150

What brands for the amp?

Is there a difference between a vented enclosure and a ported (aero port) encloser?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.