Small rant on custom sub boxes...

FineLinePimpin
10+ year member

Stuck in WV
Ya know as I sit here hoping to hear from my current box builder..... its not a surprise why people just want to go with pre fab's. I have had to do two chargebacks through Paypal , one guy was like man ***** you have had so many issues I will build you a box for free if you pay shipping. I told him that wasn't needed, I would gladly pay for quality. He vanished...now there may be another I have to file a claim through Paypal.

I'm going to give this builder till after Christmas to see if I hear from..I know he started another job so boxes became part time for him...so hopefully I at least hear from him. I don't mind paying and waiting for quality but all in all....its not been 15 months trying to get a box built for my subs.
Yes yes yes...i know....build it yourself. I just simply don't have time working 6 days a week and family time. Local shops around here give you the run around on boxes and most of them cant be trusted to build something nice. So without traveling 115 miles for a good custom box, which it may come to that.....a prefab may be in order.
OK rant over, merry xmas everybody lol.

I work 60 to 70 hours a week it may take a few weekends of a couple of hours here and there but it sure doesn't take 15 months. I started out watching YouTube videos on how to use software programs and some help here.
Unless you're doing a complicated custom box for your 1st box or health reasons. Not too many good reasons for not building one. Heck there's a member on here that builds his in a apartment iirr.

No different than finding a reliable contractor... some are good, some are bad, and some just take your money and run...

This is where you learn to do whatever is needed yourself. Life lesson...

I work 84-91 hours a week (7x12-13) for months at a time. But I still find time you build the boxes I desire. I used to build 20+ boxes a year, now I build probably 3 a year.

You can go to caraudiofabrication.com and buy a design. You have to measure your own trunk but all you'll be measuring is the height and width of the area you want the enclosure to sit in. They'll consult you on what they need to know. I actually bought a design and found a local cabinet company gave them a call and they said they could cut all the pieces, bevels, chamfer, etc,. They even offered to put it together. I made the appointment and never went through with it cause I bought one of those new Prefab boxes from Down4sound specifically built and tuned for the Sundown subs I have (I was in a rush it was my birthday and I needed Bass). My point is the likely hood of there being some sort of wood worker near you is high (those guys are everywhere) and can save you a lot of headache. He won't need your help he'll have a blueprint all you'll need to do is glue and nail it together you'll also have the design to walk you through assembly. 1.on-line consultation 2. Measure trunk, 3.download blueprint 4.drop off blueprint. 5. pick up pieces 6. Assembly. I didn't build mines but I will be on my next build most definitely!!

Several years ago I had a local cabinet shop build me a sub box. I took them the design showed him pictures of other boxes that looked like what I wanted. It came out great and cost less than the other options I had for a custom box at that time.

Ya know as I sit here hoping to hear from my current box builder..... its not a surprise why people just want to go with pre fab's. I have had to do two chargebacks through Paypal , one guy was like man ***** you have had so many issues I will build you a box for free if you pay shipping. I told him that wasn't needed, I would gladly pay for quality. He vanished...now there may be another I have to file a claim through Paypal.

I'm going to give this builder till after Christmas to see if I hear from..I know he started another job so boxes became part time for him...so hopefully I at least hear from him. I don't mind paying and waiting for quality but all in all....its not been 15 months trying to get a box built for my subs.
Yes yes yes...i know....build it yourself. I just simply don't have time working 6 days a week and family time. Local shops around here give you the run around on boxes and most of them cant be trusted to build something nice. So without traveling 115 miles for a good custom box, which it may come to that.....a prefab may be in order.
OK rant over, merry xmas everybody lol.

***** you’ve gotten the run around man. Maybe consider taking your available measurements, get the design and cut sheet from someone, pay the guys at Home Depot to make the cuts. Have a Local wood craftsman come assemble it.

alternatively, take a design and cut sheet to a local shop.Tell them the thickness and type of wood you want them to use, that you want 45’s, all that. Then just inspect the inside before they put the final side on. If they don’t want to be thorough then bail. Most shops that Build prefabs are capable of building better it’s just not effective sales wise for them to tell impatient customer that it’s going to take a week or more to get their stereo Installed.

good luck

I too was working a lot of hours during the week and still managed to find the time to build a box for someone local, as well as finishing my own build. It's all in how you manage your time. Even if you worked on it an hr a day sure beats relying on someone leading you on for months, making you wonder if you'll ever see a box from that person.

I'd learn how design and build my own stuff if I was in your position... at least find a "LOCAL" to assist you.
Learning what does what and what's possible is enclosure design... every car is different and every sub reacts differently to the cabin and power applied. Testing... testing... or exp can trump testing.
It's compromise with goals applied....
Build a box or an enclosure tailored for your usage...
I like the prefab type output (SPL) but also understand how to increase my bandwidth for example with minimal losses on output. Maximizing your power within the response is the endgame. I personally look for extension within musical tracks... real world musical output when pushed to the max and an overall banger.
Just my preference... and being able to design my own enclosure to deliver my goals has been a learning exp, Designing and seeing the results will give visceral/best feedback... build away Merill... hit a home run or learn a bit.
The tools required are basic... once mastered you'll never look back.
I am personally an Ischemic Stroke Survivor... was totally paralyzed on my R/S... even bedridden at 1st but I can build. Lately i choose to allow for the blood thinners I'm currently on so I farmed out my last design... but I designed it and know what to expect and how testing affects it... etc.
152db+ outlaw, single ferrite 18 daily on up to 3K or so clamped... I'm always looking for more btw... for a $350 sub I'm right in that ballpark... got any pointers?.. anyone?
My .02
Rant you said?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.