single vs multi-amp setups

Participant count
  • Participant list

Emvaz
10+ year member

Hey everyone, I was just wondering that if, assuming equal quality and power, there are any technical advantages of having a setup of 2 2-channel ams and a mono-amp for the sub over having a single 5-channel amp.

The only things i could think of is that a multi-amp setup might be better for heat dissipation due to surface area while a single amp setup would obviously save space. I'm leaning towards a single amp so that I can make the install as simple as possible.

Are there any potential disadvantages to this that I'm overlooking?

Cost is one because most "good' 5 channels are really expensive... and another thing is 5 channels usually don't provide much power for a subwoofer so usually people only use them on lower end builds to make things more convenient. So I guess it depends what equipment you're running and what you're trying to achieve, but yes a 5 channel will work fine or better in most cases.

Other than price/ease of use theres really no advantage more or less just disadvantages. I ran a 5 channel awhile back and have never done it again, just my /2 cents.

What about like an Audison AV 5.1k

75x2, 140x2, 600x1 @ 4 ohms (1000x1 @ 2 ohms)

I would be running 4 channels to my HAT Clarus comps, and the mono to the subs of course.

I have 2 Memphis M3 12s (600/1200 @ 2 ohm).

This Audison seems like the perfect fit, and isn't it cheaper to buy 1 5-channel amp rather than 3 separate amps of the same quality and wattage?

Thanks

5-channel amplifier install gives you the simplicity and cost savings. Multi-amp installs will give you more power and flexibility, even if you use a 4-channel amp and a mono amp. Two 2-channels amps will give you even more power. I am not really sure what's the point of it. It's too much power. I'd use 2-channel amplifier only for a subwoofer or to power a dedicated midbass driver (I prefer to run active).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.