Single Subwoofer Setup Advice

I am looking for a single setup subwoofer advice. I like boomy bass and want something pretty loud. I have a KICKER REFURBISHED 11DX500.1 so i would need a sub woofer that can take 500 RMS at 2 OHM.

I was going with a kicker L3 but a lot of people told me not to go with that. Any opinions? Also will 500 watt amp be "loud" enough?

Price range 80-120 for sub

with that low amount of power, go with a 15 if you have the space for it. If not then get a sundown E series and put them in a good large ported box.

What kind of power would be ideal? I can also sell the amp and upgrade to a larger. I just dont know how much my stock mazda protege can handle

Also I have never heard of Sundown, are they better than Kicker or Alpine?

Would the Sundown E12 sound good with the KICKER 11DX500.1 at 500 RMS with a ported box?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I have never heard of Sundown, are they better than Kicker or Alpine?
Would the Sundown E12 sound good with the KICKER 11DX500.1 at 500 RMS with a ported box?
Sundown's subwoofers are much louder and better sounding than the other two. their standard SA series is already louder than a kicker L7 but sounds a lot better.

Its a competition level brand not a mainstream average consumer brand, the difference is sundown has stronger motors, thicker, longer more durable voice coils with good suspension/spiders. They last a lot longer and can take a beating. you can run 800 rms to the sundown E sub daily and it'll take it like a champ. Cant say the same thing about kicker subs.

You have two options, get a 4 ohm sub and have a slightly quieter yet crispier bass or have it at 2 ohm and have louder bass.

A Kicker L3 is a decent sub but you would be surprised how much of a difference the box that the sub is mounted in effects the quality and loudness.

I believe that Kicker L3's have dual voice coils so you have the option between 2ohm and 4ohm.

That would be a good choice if you would like some bass but if you think your going to be a real bass head and have your rear view fall off then I suggest getting a woofer that is capable of handling at least 1500 RMS (not max) and supplementing it with a matching amplifier than can produce that wattage at 2 or 4 ohms (again the ohms and box make a huge difference).

The box makes a huge difference in sound & the impedance of the subs makes a difference in amplifier efficiency, not in sound quality... unless you run a lower impedance than the amplifier can handle.

OP, no one but you can answer whether or not 500 watts would be enough power. For me, 500 watts won't cut it on my mids but then, I'm a certifiable basshead. You might be amazed at the sound one 12 in a properly designed box can produce on 500 watts while that setup would be child's play for others. And you might think my setup is complete overkill.

And that's fine... to each his own.

So to better answer your questions...

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to fill in some absent bass response or do you want to shake your rear view mirror out of position every time you turn the volume knob? Maybe knock it off the windshield? Blow your nose hairs around?

Those are very important questions to answer before someone can advise you on how to go about building a system that meets your desires.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.