Single ported Sundown E-12 tuning

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThirtyHz
10+ year member

Hey, I am looking to build an enclosure for one Sundown E-12 in the near future. I plan on putting it into a 2.5 cubic foot enclosure. (PWK recommends an enclosure for the E-12 of at least 60L (~2.1 cu ft) for a more linear response) I also want to use a 4" aeroport (precision port) 10.25 inches long for a tuning of 32 Hz. I think my question is, would it be alright to tune this box to 30 Hz? All it would require is 12 of port length compared to the ten and a quarter. I'm just slightly confused because I have heard not to tune too far below a subs res. freq. because it might cause roll-off right at the tuning. If it sounds stupid, that's because I read it once somewhere on a forum haha. The E-12 has an Fs of ~35.8 Hz. If anyone is wondering what this setup will be used for/what is expected of it is... a daily setup, that will hammer lows. Sure I want to get as loud as I can doing this, but I have zero concern for numbers (db). It will be fed 500w from a RF prime 500.1. If there are any other things I forgot to mention that might help in determining if I should tune lower, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

How low do you listen to? Most people don't play anything below 27hz which you can still play just fine with a 32hz tuning. It gets to a point where tuning lower doesn't really give you any extra low end, it just starts to take away from your high end and you lose a lot of output.

I am currently running a sundown e12 in a 1.5 cubic foot net tuned to 33 and I have nothing but good things to say about this driver. It is powered by a jl audio 500/1. I listen to all kinds of music and it always does a great job whether its some crazy dual kick drum metal or some crazy low end from bass test CDs.

The lowest stuff I listen to is dubstep, prob doesn't ever get lower than 25 Hz. Another question is, is a single 4 inch aero enough? I know a 6 is too much, and 2 4's is pushing it. I guess the best person to ask is Jacob himself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.