single Din vs Double Din

gixxerific

Looking for a new HU for my vehicle. I have been out of the loop for a while and there is a lot of new options in the market. Unfortunately that means lower over-all quality everywhere else. I wish I could get the functionality of my old skool Alpine that did everything audio wise while newer units do everything else than audio quality last or so it seems.

Really only looking at double din since it seems hard to find a single din with a parametric EQ. So far kind of looking at Pioneer and Kennwood. I am not new to the older high end brands so that would be a alternative as well if you have any suggestions.

The only thing I REALLY NEED is satellite and an EQ though other things are on my WANT list. Oh yeah at least 2, 4 volt (minimum) pre outs)

I have CDT 3 way comps, Brutus sub, Hifonics and Soundstream amps.

Thanks

Dono

(I used to be a member here but somehow I lost my username etc so here I start anew)

Budget?

I love me a good DD, i'll never go back to a sd if I can help it. A lot of the mid/high pioneers offer 4v preouts and 8 band eq's with hp and lp filters for a good price. A used z110, z120, z130+ or 910bt, 920bt, 930bt+ off those and can be had used for a little over 300 and come with navi. Heck, my oldish 3200dvd has 3 sets of 4v, 8band and filters. Those can be had on ebay for 150ish. DD's are just so much easier to navigate through, easier to see and more enjoyable to play with..

Use keywords "Pioneer avic" or "Pioneer avh" on ebay to see all they offer, avic are nav units while avh is strictly video.

First off thanks Sleek for the fast response. And yes I am liking the DD for the easier navigation so far as well, but I am not willing to lose SQ for navigation. Though anything would be better than stock since the Ol' Skool Alpine I was talking about has bit the dust, though it did me well for about 7 years. New truck and enough audio to build a few systems, I am itching to get bumping again.

As far as budget I'm looking at around or under $500 for Head Unit, though if something really get's me all teary eyed may go over the $500 limit.

Which alpine did you have? Car audio has came a long way in 7 years so it shouldn't be hard to find something equal to or better than the alpine unit at a reasonable price, unless of course it was an active. If it was i'm unsure which dd's are active capable.

Which alpine did you have? Car audio has came a long way in 7 years so it shouldn't be hard to find something equal to or better than the alpine unit at a reasonable price, unless of course it was an active. If it was i'm unsure which dd's are active capable.[/quote/]
I sure hope so, I can't remember the exact numen on the Alpine. I keep wanting to say 9817 or 9807. It was maybe even 10 or more years ago. It was their top of the line that year. No satellite or navigation, Iphone or the like. But! it had high and low pass filters, fully adjustable X-over with slope etc, 7-8 band fully adjustable EQ, time correction etc. Even a selection for turning off all lights for that extra millivolt during comps. you can't find that level of customization these day's. Or so it seems my journey has just began, though I have been out there trying to keep up on all the new stuff.

gonna be expensive to found a 6 or 7 inch screen double din with those features. These days, all the SQ oriented stuff are made in single dins. Pioneer deh 80 prs has a 16 band graphic equalizer, digital time alignment, built in DSP - 28-Bit Binary Floating-Point Digital Signal Processor = fully active capable with x over slopes for sub, midbass, mids, highs. 5 volt preouts (did a little bit more from my test for true preouts). Pretty sure it wont lose out on SQ to any oldschool headunits. Kenwood x997 and alpine 147bt are also SQ head units with similar features. They all have modern features of headunits and All the SQ features and sound quality audiophiles crave. They only way these new decks lose out on SQ is if you have been using legit CDs with the old decks compared to massive amounts chopped mp3 files on an sd card/usb with these new decks.

I sure hope so, I can't remember the exact numen on the Alpine. I keep wanting to say 9817 or 9807. It was maybe even 10 or more years ago. It was their top of the line that year. No satellite or navigation, Iphone or the like. But! it had high and low pass filters, fully adjustable X-over with slope etc, 7-8 band fully adjustable EQ, time correction etc. Even a selection for turning off all lights for that extra millivolt during comps. you can't find that level of customization these day's. Or so it seems my journey has just began, though I have been out there trying to keep up on all the new stuff.
Yeah, with those options and that price range i'd be looking at single dins. For me an adj hp/lp xover, sub lvl control, larger eq and 4v outs is enough. Honestly, I'd give up a few of those tuning options you listed and go for a dd, they're just so lovely. I feel like i'm repeating myself. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.