Single Din Digital media player and .5 eq

Participant count
  • Participant list

Radix
10+ year member

NY
I'm looking to get a new system for my car since mine is stolen.

I don't use CDs, ever, never have. So the best choice for my would be the digital media player. All I'll use is an iPod/iPhone and possible a hard drive in the future.

I'm looking to spend a maximum of $300

My current choice is the kenwood KIV 701

Im also looking for a good EQ for about $50

It depends what all features you want. For example, for the same price as the KIV-701, you can buy Kenwood's best single-DIN head unit, the Excelon KDC-X996. You get HD Radio, Bluetooth, Pandora without the use of the KIV-701's goofy adapter cable, Android app, better sound and EQ controls, etc. Yes, the X996 has a CD player behind the face, but just because it is there doesn't mean that you have to use it! If you were paying less for a media-player-only device then sure, by all means go for it. But I'd rather have all the features I just mentioned than a color screen, especially for $300, which is Pioneer 80PRS territory.

Plus, at $300, you say you want a single-DIN, but at $300 you're just about at double-DIN territory, for the DDX319 and DDX419. If you're already choosing the KIV-701 over the KDC-X996 because of the color screen, you might as well step up and get a real-sized color screen.

There's no room for double din.

If I could just have my head unit to be a speaker with an AUX input that would be perfect for me.

I don't want blue tooth, I dont want pandora, none of that extra crap. I just want to play my iPod, and thats it.

It's not for the color screen, or any of that. My car ligh color is an orange/red with a black/gray interior so I want to match that.

I want best SQ, and most simplistic controls and look to it. It would b cool to hook up a backup camera to it, but if you can recommend me one that's better please do!

if you want just an aux for your ipod or what ever.then my alpine cda 9855 would be perfect ,its also a 3 way active hu ,no pandora or bluetooth stuff either

Well I would like good SQ, sleek look(like I said) and color changing to match my interior

Any other opinions?

To refine what I'm looking for:

I want something sleek and without many features. If I could I would want I a speaker with an AUX cable. I want good SQ. I never use CDs so that feels like a waste to me. The Digital media player is good, especially since a backup camera would be cool. I am not using Bluetooth, pandora, android, or anything of the likes. So good quality with low features.

That digital media player is the cheapest that you're going to get for a video monitor in a single DIN deck; actual screens aren't that common in single DIN units. So if you want a backup camera, that's your best bet. You could just get any of the cheapest decks from Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, Sony, JVC, or Pioneer as they're all equally good. I'd recommend a 30-pin instead of a simple AUX because of a few reasons:

-control of the ipod/iphone through the head unit

-Line out instead of the headphone jack, which means that the volume, equalizer, and amplifier of the iphone are all bypassed

-Charges your ipod/iphone when plugged in

Also, if you get a headunit that's at least $130 at Crutchfield, you get free installation equipment, so you gain additional features for free pretty much. Otherwise, here are a few good-sounding headunits from Amazon:

-http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-2400UB-DEH-2400Ub-Iphone%C2%AE-Playback/dp/B0068Y7FXC/ref=sr_1_84?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1342886722&sr=1-84

-http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KDHDR44-Radio-Receiver-Inputs/dp/B004UI4OCI/ref=sr_1_76?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1342886722&sr=1-76

-http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDXGT360MP-Car-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B005I7HS0K/ref=sr_1_77?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1342886722&sr=1-77

I don't want to control the songs from the HU, I only want to use the iPhone for it

I also don't care if it's somewhat expensive.. It can be a bit over $300

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.