Single Assassin 8 Flat response SQ build

Fast1one
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
California
Assassins have been a reasonably sized boner for quite some time now. Ive owned four 8s for a while and have slowly sold/given/let borrow to others. Mine have been both sealed and ported with fantastic results.

Unfortunately i wanted more, as the low end always left something to be desired for obvious reasons. Ive seen many threads about the 8s in sealed and ported boxes, and thats great and all. But I had yet to see someone try something exotic. Im talking about a complete flat response(or near it) from 20/25 HZ to somwhere around 60HZ.

I am now down to my last surviving 8, which called a 1.3 cube vented enclosure tuned to 35 Hz its home for about a month. It was VERY loud for what it was off 300 watts. It sounded very good doing it as well. For this build, I sacrificed a little bit of that loudness for a flat response and pretty **** good low end for an 8, hell even a ten. Behold:

AssassinTLparttwoIMG.jpg

What is it? Im sure some of you recognize it. Its just a simple transmission line (1/4 wave of the frequency) tuned to around 34 HZ with a catch. It has a compression chamber which is basically an enclosure to bring a little more low end out of the line. What does this mean? Anything in the 20s is now loud and clear and nearly flat just as i wanted from mid twenties to around 60.

There is a catch however, the sub acts as if its almost free air, in which case I havve to be careful with what I play. It hasnt bottomed out yet (With about 300 watts), but I imagine it would if I played anything below lets say around 25HZ. But can it play it? Sure can, the mechanical limits are now preventing it, instead of the enclosure. O yeah, its a little big too (Around 2.7 cubes gross IIRC)

So what have we learned? Well just what has been said for many years. Its all in the enclosure. Almost any descent quality sub can do whatever YOU want it to do. I now have my low end, flat response, a still very loud 8, and the accuracy and punchiness that TLs are famous for. I have also noticed that there is less strain on the amplifier, as my lights hardly dim at all (They didnt dim that much before anyway).

Dont sit there, all the info for a TL can be found on the net so you can design one. You may need a little help, the guys at DIYaudio.com helped me a ton with this project and they can help you too. Also try http://www.t-linespeakers.org/

And now for a couple more pics:

Mock up:

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

Sorry I dont have more pics....Enjoy.

Edit: Keep in mind my trunk is not even sound deadened yet and tis easily the best setup ive ever had. Once I sound deaden, the SQ will be even better.

Cant say I have, I started out with a line tuned to 35 and looked OK, but it wasnt quite what I wanted. It was another member at DIYaudio that suggested I lower the CSA and add the compression chamber. Im starting to get then hang of it though. Im making one for home soon...

Edit: Jim J, I thought about it but it was last minute and I didnt have any at hand. Now that the box is sealed I cant really do much except at the end. It sounds fine as is but I will never know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Would that reduce the amount of cone movement?

How come no 45's in the corners of the port??

Jon
The member over at DIY suggested I didnt because it introduced more upper harmonic noise that I didnt want. Above 80HZ it has huge dips and peaks that would have been more noticeable. For this reason, I forgot to mention, it requires a steep Low pass at 50 HZ 24db/octave

I wish it was always that simple, I'd love to have a small box for my titan that fits under the rear seat in transmition line, but I just don't think its possibe due to the odd shape. My single 10" Assassin is not that loud in it's sealed enclosure, in fact I can often hardly hear it over my fronts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I think I just need a better sub.

I'd love to hear that setup...

Would that reduce the amount of cone movement?
Probably not, but it sometimes makes the response less raggedy...if there's any weirdness with it.

TL's aren't like bass reflex enclosures in that you can just crunch some numbers and forget about it, even with Martin King's awesome models there's still some wiggle room //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I wish it was always that simple, I'd love to have a small box for my titan that fits under the rear seat in transmition line, but I just don't think its possibe due to the odd shape. My single 10" Assassin is not that loud in it's sealed enclosure, in fact I can often hardly hear it over my fronts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
I think I just need a better sub
If you had the room that wouldnt be the problem. My highs distort from the lows slightly and thats with 110 per side with one 8 in a trunk car. A maxima at that, which is hard to get loud lol...
If upgrading is the only option, go for it.

Edit: JimJ, i am aware of that, which is why i am not calling myself an expert //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Best thing to do is to look at some pre-made plans and experiment yourself. They sure are fun...This enclosure was actually modeled with MJKs software...

Looks pretty nice! I'm going to be building some TLs soon. One will be for a 10" w6 clone for HT use and the other will be a 12" IDQ for home audio use. The w6 will probably be tapered with a 2:1 ratio and it won't have a compression chamber but I will have one on the IDQ and it will probably be tapered 2:1 as well if I need to save some wood. Space isn't an issue with the IDQ and it probably won't be in charge of anything over 50hz anyways so I may not need to taper it.

Looks pretty nice! I'm going to be building some TLs soon. One will be for a 10" w6 clone for HT use and the other will be a 12" IDQ for home audio use. The w6 will probably be tapered with a 2:1 ratio and it won't have a compression chamber but I will have one on the IDQ and it will probably be tapered 2:1 as well if I need to save some wood. Space isn't an issue with the IDQ and it probably won't be in charge of anything over 50hz anyways so I may not need to taper it.
I didnt taper this one for ease of design and build, it probably would have been better though as it would tame the nastiness above 80HZ...which is crossed over anyway but i can still hear it right now (Yet to upgrade my lowpass slope from 12db-24db)
Good luck on the build man. Post it up on here I want to see results.

BTW If anyone wants the design Ill give it to you free of charge. You can modify it too to ft your dimension constraints. I want to see someone try four in an SUV with around 1000 watts total...

If you had the room that wouldnt be the problem. My highs distort from the lows slightly and thats with 110 per side with one 8 in a trunk car. A maxima at that, which is hard to get loud lol...
If upgrading is the only option, go for it.

Edit: JimJ, i am aware of that, which is why i am not calling myself an expert //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Best thing to do is to look at some pre-made plans and experiment yourself. They sure are fun...This enclosure was actually modeled with MJKs software...
Hmmm,

Well theres a hump in my floor between the right and left side, with a total mounting depth of maybe 6.5 inches on the sides if using 3/4th inch MDF, and fabricating brackets to lift the rear seat. Without lifting the seat it might be possible to get 6 inches if the box is routed or using 1/2 inch MDF. The hump between the seats leaves only a couple inches of space in the center.

I'm thinking it would be alot easier to just buy more power subs.

I still want to hear one of these though! If I ever get a second vehicle I think I will probably go this route.

I didnt taper this one for ease of design and build, it probably would have been better though as it would tame the nastiness above 80HZ...which is crossed over anyway but i can still hear it right now (Yet to upgrade my lowpass slope from 12db-24db)
Good luck on the build man. Post it up on here I want to see results.
I'll make sure to post a log in the enclosure construction area. I probably won't be able to begin this for a while but it will happen sometime.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.