Single 12" / Amplifier $400 Budget

Going in a trunk set up..Id go for an XFL 12 all day long or an HDS3 12. All the XFLs I have 10s and 12s have been nothing but straight up beast and very reliable for the money spent.Any sub in a trunk set up is going to give quite a bit of rattle to the vehicle unless you do some deadening.I have a 2.0 double baffle tuned to 32htz enclosure for a 12 ,that I utilize all the time with a DVC2 and or one my DVC4 and it serves very well.Id look at a decent 2krms amp or at the min of 1500 rms. Those subs eat every bit of either RMS power thrown on the daily.Great choice of a sub for trunk space.The HDS310s and 312s I have are the older version and do great as well. The newer 10 i picked up does fine, but doesnt dig deep like the older versions.The XFLs just get down and can sound very nice if you build the enclosure properly and 1k or more rms power
A good thing about Cadillac's is they are pretty well damped OEM, due to them being luxury cars. I can turn the volume up to 40 in my SRX, and with the doors closed and windows up there is very little rattle, and that comes from the over-hang above the rear window. I had a crazy rattle, realized it was the door for the ski-pass, leave it open, no more rattle. But you still may need to add a little to your trunk lid dude.

A good thing about Cadillac's is they are pretty well damped OEM, due to them being luxury cars. I can turn the volume up to 40 in my SRX, and with the doors closed and windows up there is very little rattle, and that comes from the over-hang above the rear window. I had a crazy rattle, realized it was the door for the ski-pass, leave it open, no more rattle. But you still may need to add a little to your trunk lid dude.
uhm, cts's are not at all known for being quiet on the road for a luxury vehicle. never have been. its on the zeta platform which is what the camaro uses also.

uhm, cts's are not at all known for being quiet on the road for a luxury vehicle. never have been. its on the zeta platform which is what the camaro uses also.
I'm sorry. I did not know that they were prone to noise, my SRX is pretty quiet on the inside.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looks like the American Bass FXL12 is a solid choice. Will look at amps a bit further. I have a spare box that is 1.81 cu ft w/ "labryinth" port tuned to 37Hz. Will this be suitable for the XFL12?

There is some road noise in the CTS but not too bad. I would love to add some sound treatment but I have been out of the game for a while and no clue what is the best bang for the buck. Have some research to do I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looks like the American Bass FXL12 is a solid choice. Will look at amps a bit further. I have a spare box that is 1.81 cu ft w/ "labryinth" port tuned to 37Hz. Will this be suitable for the XFL12?
There is some road noise in the CTS but not too bad. I would love to add some sound treatment but I have been out of the game for a while and no clue what is the best bang for the buck. Have some research to do I suppose.
bigger box would be better but it'll work fine make sure u get d2 sub if running at 1 ohm.. stfu mat on gp car audio is best u will find, 250 mil thick but 5 sheets is $125..

How about a Dayton HO 12 coupled with an Infinity kappa k600. The Dayton is a great sub and Crutchfield has that amp on sale for $150. Parts Express is selling that sub for $150, also. That's $300 for the sub and amp. Won't be as loud as your Soundqubed setup, but you said you don't rattle the neighbors' windows, anyhow. Just an option.
Hmm... The RSS315HO-44 12"  looks like it would be nice wired to 2ohms...

I nabbed a pair of Morel Tempo Ultra 602s for cheap. This would probably compliment them well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... The RSS315HO-44 12"  looks like it would be nice wired to 2ohms...

I nabbed a pair of Morel Tempo Ultra 602s for cheap. This would probably compliment them well.
I like my setup. The Tempo Ultras are phenomenal.  Just make sure to properly deaden the doors, give them enough power and you'll be in heaven, especially with that HO.

Smallish box IMO coupled with the higher tune will leave you looking for more, As stated earlier 2.25ft3-to 2.5ft3+ tuned in the low 30's and powered right and that XFL may surprise you. I'd use the "Labryinth" box you have as a temporary just until you get a proper box built for that sub. Personally I'd go closer to 2.5ft3 tuned around 33hz.

Caddy?.. I'm sure you got the room to spare, sometimes saving space ain't worth it... just my .02

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.