Simple wiring question for power

Participant count
  • Participant list
Selling a deck on ebay and I've already removed it from the dash and installed the new one. One thing though is I forgot to take a pic of the deck power on before I took it out and I need to just get power to it enough to snap a shot w/ it on and that's it. So basically I need to get a 12v wire to the power wire (red) in the harness and a ground to the black wire.

Problem is I know just enough to be dangerous so I better ask around on here before I get into things Two ideas how to get this done...

1) take a fully charged 12v bat (already in the garage, out of vehicle) and hook the red wire of the harness to the POS side and black wire to the NEG side to get it to light up.

2) second idea is to get under the hood and connect the red power harness wire to the POS side of the in-car battery and find a ground somewhere under the hood (off battery) and attach to the black harness wire.

I believe option 2 would get the deck face to light up for a pic safely, while I'm not so sure about the somewhat easier option number 1.

Please let me know what ya think. thanks and Merry Christmas!!

You'll need to find the remote turn on wire (usually yellow but I've seen Orange) and comnect it with the 12+ constant wire (red) from the deck, AFTER you connect the ground wire.

Just get some wire you have laying around twist and tape it up that way you'll have more room and not risking banging up the head unit.. so close to the battery.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

red is +12V ignition and yellow is +12V constant. both need to be connected to the positive battery terminal.

black is ground and is connected to the negative battery terminal.

i like using insulated alligator clips for making temporary connections for testing.

get yourself an inline fuse holder for testing like this (or use alligator clips to run through a fuse).

all other wires should be insulted so they don't short to each other or metal. best to just cut them so no bare wire is visible, leave as much length as possible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.