Silverado Build, DC, iPad dash, Jl Audio, Audioque, Keenwood, fiberglass, blowthrough

Participant count
  • Participant list
Just bought a 01 Silverado last night and i bought it to make a huge profit off of it but now im thinking of keeping it and dropping my system in it... very tempting since I've been wanting a silverado forever, just would perfer a ext cab or a tahoe but we'll see what happens..

Info on the truck

2001 silverado 4.3 v6/manual everything:(

ORIGINAL OWNER

131,xxx miles

Lowered 4-8 via DJM

shaved tailgate and rollpan

03+ tail lights

cleared head lights

ss mirrors

colormatched everything

custom black interior with some billet accesories

+ many more im forgetting, build should start within a week after i get it running, it was part of the reason i got it so cheap but EVERYTHING is there and labeled in bags so, anyways, pics will be up tonight weather permitting..

heres a sneak peak

5N95K75H43I23Jd3N3c1v67ac40056d2818e5.jpg

anyways, equiptment list is in the sig and pics will be up shorty.. STAY tuned.

finally got some progress pics. started my second iPad dash because I want it to be sideways rather than vertical

first off let me say that i HATE sanding this bezel because the previous owner was an IDIOT in the sense of, heres what im sanding off..

1)clear coat

2)coat of ugly *** green

3)sanded clear coat which is painted over a

4)coat of red

5)primer

then i get to the plastic.. ive spent 4 hours sanding at this point, AH! all i have to say is, thank the Lord for a DA sander, if i was doing this by hand.......

but heres some pics

after a hour and a halfs worth of sanding.

photo10.jpg

where it sits now, after about 3 and a half hours of sanding

photo7-1.jpg

took the factory mids out of the door. the surround was falling all over me when i took it out.. hahaha

photo8-1.jpg

heres some of my door speakers, top is the JL 5.25, middle is the Alpine type X midbass, and the factory speaker, still waiting on my 6.5 JL's:(

photo6-1.jpg

this is what I want my next ipad dash to look similar too.

DSC00828.jpg

Just kind of a motto I always go by, if you really want something, it's worth the wait.If you really want an ext. cab or Tahoe, I would carry on with the plans to sell it for profit and put that money towards something you've always wanted.
yup

Just kind of a motto I always go by, if you really want something, it's worth the wait.If you really want an ext. cab or Tahoe, I would carry on with the plans to sell it for profit and put that money towards something you've always wanted.
I might put it up for sale first and just see what someone would give me for it.. we'll see. but i mean i like the truck a lot now.. the reason i didnt want a single cab before was because I thought I'd feel cramped up in it but supirisingly I don't.. so we'll see..

remember that you cannot couple the cab and bed - those need to flex independently unless you substantially change the chassis.

this means you want someting resilient between the enclosure in the bed and the opening in the cabin. you're trying to make a waterproof membrane, so keep thinking about something that is water-tight. i've seen blow-throughs done well and poorly. the poor one ruined the truck. you destroy value with this anyway, so have fun. just be very aware of the issues with bed movement and water ingress.

remember that you cannot couple the cab and bed - those need to flex independently unless you substantially change the chassis.
this means you want someting resilient between the enclosure in the bed and the opening in the cabin. you're trying to make a waterproof membrane, so keep thinking about something that is water-tight. i've seen blow-throughs done well and poorly. the poor one ruined the truck. you destroy value with this anyway, so have fun. just be very aware of the issues with bed movement and water ingress.
you put accoridan boot inbetween the cab and bed and then you silicone it therefore making it weather proof...

and no you do not ruin the value of the truck if you know what you're doing, because you keep the metal you cut out, whenever you sell the truck or take the system out, you reweld those pieces back into place, put bedliner over it so the buy will never know the difference.. easily made back to a stock truck... im not doing the cutting. a guy I know who builds cars and does audio in SEMA vehicles is assisting me in this build..

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

I think what makes or breaks a blow through is the prep and planing you put into it. Also having a good hookup on camper weatherstripping is a plus.
amen to the camper weather stripping, lol.. im still searching for a source to buy some from

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.