Shallow subs. Dayton/sundown

steele6794
10+ year member

Boston
Subs going behind the rear seat of an 08' f350. I only have about 3.5-5" of depth and 1.45-1.66 sq. feet of airspace to work with. Also only 800 watts rms.

Looking for opinions.

Wanted to run a single sundown sd12 but don't have the depth. Found these Dayton's

Dayton Audio LS10-44 10" Low Profile Subwoofer Dual 4 Ohm

Thinking about running two of them sealed as I think the output may be greater that one sundown sd10 ported...idk. Maybe someone can model that for me?

Don't have many other options because of depth restrictions. If I'm overlooking a better sub let me know.

I second the SI mkiv. Only needs .6 cf and 400 watts would be good. I have one in my truck and I believe the only thing that would make me happier would be two.

I second the SI mkiv. Only needs .6 cf and 400 watts would be good. I have one in my truck and I believe the only thing that would make me happier would be two.
Are you running it sealed or ported?

Also, you guys think one SI would give me more than 2 of those dayton 10's?

Listen to more rock and some pop. I don't care that people won't hear me coming, don't need it to rattle my truck. Musical and tight is what I like

The SD series was specifically designed to work in a sealed box. They are underhung, and I'd be afraid to hard-bottom them in a ported box if they unloaded.

I wouldn't do the SD ported

Are you running it sealed or ported?
Also, you guys think one SI would give me more than 2 of those dayton 10's?

Listen to more rock and some pop. I don't care that people won't hear me coming, don't need it to rattle my truck. Musical and tight is what I like
The SI is THE shallow mount subwoofer. Its not just regarded as a good sounding shallow mount driver its one of the better sounding drivers period. It was designed to sound amazing in a .5 cu ft enclosure . If you want real fidelity and are short on space the SI is a no brainer.

The SI is a sealed box only woofer. I have zero experience with the shallow mount Dayton. I am sure it is a quality product as are all that I have seen. If you are looking for loud for the sake of loud the Si probably is not for you.

I've read the daytons don't actually perform all that great in small sealed enclosures. They spec a lot better in larger enclosures which kind of defeats the purpose of a shallow IMO

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.