Setup up for my Jeep... Rockford or JL?

HandsumAssassin
10+ year member

Hi Everyone

I recently purchased a 99 Jeep Sahara. I want to have a decent system installed ASAP!!!

In my previous car I was focused on having a purely SQ setup. I will obviously no longer be focused on SQ in a Jeep with a flowmaster and the top down. Of course I'd still like clarity, I simply won't be obsessed with it now. I suppose loudness is now the most important issue.

For those of you who don't know, 5.25" speakers will fit up front in a Jeep and 6.5" speakers fit in a soundbar, or pods, that mount directly above the seats on the rollbar. Now for the speakers I've been looking at...

The JL VR-series 2-ways or RF HPC 2-ways. The RF's are about $30-$50 cheaper per pair, have a slightly higher RMS than the JL's, and their frequency range stats claim that they put out alot more bass than the JL's. Would the RF's be a better application for a Jeep? Why are the JL's so much more expensive if they can't perform as well as the RF's? What should I go with?

Also, what about a sub? I'd like to have just 1 12" sub for the Jeep and I was leaning towards a JL W6. From reading up about this sub, I understand that it is pretty neutral.... both clear and loud. However, I've also been reading that it's overpriced. If you all suggest that I go with the Rockford 5.25s and 6.5s, should I just save the money and get my boom from a RF sub as well (again, since a Jeep's soundstage doesn't provide for clarity)?

Please offer any suggestions or advice

Many thanX and cheers

someone at the stereo shop here where i live (right down the road) marketed that same JL sub to me. i liked how it sounded. i have 2 fosgate 12s right now (yeah only running at about .69-.72 of what they should have for space (but hey ive still got a back seat and theyve lasted for 4 years, but the box was hella hard to build and coat in rubberized coating). im running about 350-400 to them right now. they are plenty loud but not as clear as they should probably be.

I wouldn't waste money one a sub if you have the soft top. My friend has the soft top and 2 RF subs and they don't get loud or sound good.

I'd look into CDT and Diamond audio. Both make great comp sets.

I own the cdt hd-62cf and recommned them. Just make sure you give the comp set at least 100 watts and then they will sound great and give you plenty of bass for a jeep.

I have a 2001 Sport and my friend has a 2000 shara, 2 10's in the back in a small sealed box sounds nice when down fired or against the back seat. Even with the top down. I put Pioneer 6.5 in my soundbar and pioneer 5.25 in dash. Have Alpine type-r comps under door in kick panels.

someone at the stereo shop here where i live (right down the road) marketed that same JL sub to me. i liked how it sounded. i have 2 fosgate 12s right now (yeah only running at about .69-.72 of what they should have for space (but hey ive still got a back seat and theyve lasted for 4 years, but the box was hella hard to build and coat in rubberized coating). im running about 350-400 to them right now. they are plenty loud but not as clear as they should probably be.
go whit rockford sounds great in mine

Perfect place for this.

btchslap.jpg

if you lose the back seat in that jeep, you'll have plenty of room....i have 4 10 inch RF subs pounding with my soft top either on and off, and they sound great. (one box downfiring, and the other pointing towards the front.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.