Setup for death metal

Participant count
  • Participant list
car: 2007 honda element ex

music: 99% death metal (devourment, abnormity, internal suffering), 1% hip-hop

budget: ~$750, but flexible

other notes: didn't want to have to add an additional battery, interested in keeping stock head unit for aesthetics & because i only use aux in

have been speaking with another knowledgable forum member who is super smart & likes mtx gear, so i'm leaning towards that at the moment.

front speakers: mtx tx6 they're 4ohms, which is good for something i don't quite understand called 'damping factor' supposedly. they run $120.

rear speakers: mtx tdx65 they run $70.

sub: mtx t810-44 or mtx t812-44. have decided on the series, but not the size. i've been advised the 12" will get a bit more low end, so i'm leaning towards the 12, especially since the box it'd require is the same price as that of the 10, and negligibly larger. $162 for the 10 or $205 for the 12.

amp: mtx mobile 400w rms 4-channel thunder series amplifier. apparently need a 4 channel, and was hoping for something that wasn't enormous so i could tuck it away. this'll be powering the front components & the sub. costs $146

box: single slot ported p118 or p120 from caraudiofactor. same-ish box, just depends on what size sub i've got. aformentioned forum member modeled this with the mtx sub & said it'd be decent for a prefab. $55, but more like $90 with shipping

interface: pac aoem-hon20 i need this as i'll be using the factory head unit with an amp that doesn't natively interface with it. runs $54

cables: knu konceptz kca-k4 only need the 2 channel kit to deliver signal to the amplifier. $27

so, thoughts? anything i seem misinformed about? would you do the 10 or the 12? would you go with different stuff altogether?

edit: had to strip links, sorry.

What you have listed is a decent start. You have no sound damping materials budgeted and you've got no equalizer beyond what your factory head unit provides. An EQ can come later, but I would skip the rear speakers for now and put that money into vibration damping. A bulk pack of CLD applied to 25% of flat metal or plastic surfaces will help cut down on vibrations. There are several other ways to address vibrations, rattles, and outside noise transmission which you can read about at Sound Deadener Showdown.

Unless his modeling included a check of the predicted group delay and he found it to be inaudible, I would consider using a sealed box instead of a ported box. I switched from an incredible self-powered ported JBL enclosure to a high excursion sealed 12" sub because the bass thump didn't sound fast and tight enough on fast metal songs.

I listen to alot if metal. Everything from slayer to five finger death punch. And 2. Dc 10s in a 2.50 cubic for box tuned at 35 hertz works very well. Op. ditch the mtx crap it's not what it used to be. There is much better. And remember cheap is just that. Cheap

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.