Send Pioneer Double Din HU to Pioneer for non warranty repair?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Uglypedro

CarAudio.com Newbie
Bought a used (but looked to be in almost new condition) Pioneer 4200 DVD w/ detachable face. It worked for 6 months, but now a channel has gone out. Since I'm running active, it ends up being the right tweeter. Has anyone sent in a HU to Pioneer for repair. What was wrong with it, how much was it, and how long did it take? I don't know what will be worse...putting up with poor sound , or biting the bullet and not having tunes for god knows how long!

This is odd. If the channel failed, I think that whole corner would shut off.
I know, right? To troubleshoot I switched the RCAs between the HU and the AMP (L side to R side) and that cause the other tweeter to lose power. Then switch the speaker wires between the AMP and the speakers and the power lose switched sides, again. So, that means it's the HU causing the problem, correct?

Pioneer 4200dvd HU
Zapco ref 4.1000
Morel Hybrid 61/2 components
Audison APBX 500w sub

For a while, the left tweeter would lose power maybe once an hour it was running. Increasing volume would bring power back to the tweeter. It didn't only happen after things got "warm"...sometimes it would happen within minutes of turn on.
That went on for a couple of months, but now it never has power and increasing volume doesn't help. Once in a while power will return to the tweeter, but only for seconds.

Once in a while power will return to the tweeter, but only for seconds.
I think your amp may be burning the tweeters. I have an old Fosgate typeRF x7 that has a built in DSP, it cooked two sets of tweeters. Try a set of Boss tweeters item #tw10 at Autozone. They do not have a voice coil so they will be hard to burn out. If they play, see how long they last.
On that note, do the tweeters have the passive x-overs installed?

So many questions: What do you mean the amp may be "burning the tweeters"? Like it'd letting power meant for the woofers to bleed through to the tweeters? Also, I did mention it's a Zapco Ref amp. Although, it is a little over 15 years old. And remember, when I switched the signal cables and speaker wires, the right tweet would put out power and the left didn't. I suppose I could check the output RCAs on the HU with an Ohm meter.....if I knew how to use one. Shouldn't be that hard to learn. But switching the signal wire from R to L answered that question, right?

As for passive xovers, no. But I can see how, even though the signals being split at the HU, putting a xover between the amp and the tweeter would be extra insurance. Especially with expensive tweeter like Morels.

What do you mean the amp may be "burning the tweeters"
I do not know exactly how my amp burned my tweeters, but I have passive x-overs and modest power. I suspect an inaudible high frequency signal did it. Changed amps and no issues to this day.
Like it'd letting power meant for the woofers to bleed through
Yes.

As for passive xovers, no.
This may be an issue.

But I can see how, even though the signals being split at the HU,
This is where I am confused. I have read of radios that can dedicate channels to frequency ranges. Ex. Fronts=Tweeters, Rears=Midrange, Sub=Subs. Is yours like this? If it is not, then the tweeters are getting full range signal, which is hard on them.

That
I do not know exactly how my amp burned my tweeters, but I have passive x-overs and modest power. I suspect an inaudible high frequency signal did it. Changed amps and no issues to this day.

Yes.

This may be an issue.

This is where I am confused. I have read of radios that can dedicate channels to frequency ranges. Ex. Fronts=Tweeters, Rears=Midrange, Sub=Subs. Is yours like this? If it is not, then the tweeters are getting full range signal, which is hard on them.
That's exactly what my HU does, or is set up to do. Four channels: one for R tweeter, on for L tweeter.one each for the L and R mids.....and the sub. That's what "active" means. The amp can't send a signal to a speaker it isn't receiving from that channel.

That

That's exactly what my HU does, or is set up to do. Four channels: one for R tweeter, on for L tweeter.one each for the L and R mids.....and the sub. That's what "active" means. The amp can't send a signal to a speaker it isn't receiving from that channel.
Got it. Defeating this option should solve your issue. The Zapco may have that same option if you wish to use it active.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...