Second guessing my IDMAX15 build

Oh, I had no idea! I thought that based on the RMS rating in the manual (1,200w) and impedance rise I would be okay with an amp rated at 1,200w @ 1ohm! šŸ˜¬
According to their website it's 600RMS recommened for the 15 and 500RMS for the 10 and 12 inch models http://www.imagedynamicsusa.net/idmax

Most of the cases i've heard in regards to the IDmax failure is people treating it like an SPL sub

According to their website it's 600RMS recommened for the 15 and 500RMS for the 10 and 12 inch models http://www.imagedynamicsusa.net/idmax

Most of the cases i've heard in regards to the IDmax failure is people treating it like an SPL sub

So, it looks like they recommend 600w for sealed or 1200w for ported enclosures (or am I reading that wrong)? Since I have a ported enclosure, I should be okay (in theory) at the 1200w range, if I donā€™t push it for long periods?

for my home studio setup
A car is nothing even remotely like the studio/listening room in your house.

IMO it is highly likely that you can "solve" whatever your issue is with a different enclosure, changing the position or location of the sub in your vehicle and EQ... or some combination of these things. For practical purposes all of these things will make far more dramatic difference than what brand of woofer you're using.

I do not think that just throwing money at some meme brand sub is going to be your silver bullet here.

It a slotted port, and the opening is 22square inches and the length is 17ā€.

If the box is 4 cubic feet and has only 22 sq inches of port area, that can be why you donā€™t like the way it sounds! You should have between 48-64 ish sq inches on a box that size. If you post the opening dimensions of the port (width and length donā€™t need how long it goes in the box) I can very the sq inches for you cause that seems very small. It could just be the box that is the problem.

A car is nothing even remotely like the studio/listening room in your house.

I do not think that just throwing money at some meme brand sub is going to be your silver bullet here.
Thatā€™s a good point. I may need to moderate my expectations. But if I can close the gap between the sound quality in my car and my office/studio setup, that would be something.

I was originally planning on getting a better made cabinet, tuned lower, to try my Sundown 15ā€ in, and if there wasnā€™t enough of a difference I would try an IDMAX. Unfortunately, I didnā€™t communicate that plan to my cabinet maker, and he made the cutout for the image dynamics specifications, which is too big for the sundown screw holes! šŸ‘ŽšŸ½

If you post the opening dimensions of the port (width and length donā€™t need how long it goes in the box) I can very the sq inches for you cause that seems very small.
Iā€™m out of town until Sunday, but I can post those dimensions when Iā€™m back. Those are the dimensions on my new box that I had built for the IDMAX based on IDs specs for ā€œAudiophileā€ build. I havenā€™t tried the Sundown in it due to the cutout being too large.

The IDmax is better in a sealed box. In 2.5 cubes sealed it will have an F3 of around 45 HZ. Thatā€™s a perfect spot for cabin gain to pick up the slack and give a nice flat response. If you wanted a ported enclosure, the IDmax wouldnā€™t have been what I would recommend.

So, it looks like they recommend 600w for sealed or 1200w for ported enclosures (or am I reading that wrong)? Since I have a ported enclosure, I should be okay (in theory) at the 1200w range, if I donā€™t push it for long periods?
You reading it wrong. 600RMS is the recommened RMS for the subwoofer regardless of ported or sealed.

You reading it wrong. 600RMS is the recommened RMS for the subwoofer regardless of ported or sealed.
If you wanted a ported enclosure, the IDmax wouldnā€™t have been what I would recommend.
Dang! Iā€™m seeing a theme hare that the IDMAX may not be a good fit. The question Iā€™m considering now is if any true SQL subs would work in that box I had built for the IDMAX. And, would half an inch larger cutout be in issue for something like a Brahma, or if I will need to make a baffle.

Orā€¦make the cutout even bigger and get an 18ā€, like a Fi SSD 18ā€! šŸ¤£

Dang! Iā€™m seeing a theme hare that the IDMAX may not be a good fit. The question Iā€™m considering now is if any true SQL subs would work in that box I had built for the IDMAX. And, would half an inch larger cutout be in issue for something like a Brahma, or if I will need to make a baffle.

Orā€¦make the cutout even bigger and get an 18ā€, like a Fi SSD 18ā€! šŸ¤£
Have you checked out Savard Hi-Q? It can handle more power than you have, but it would work in that box really well.

this one would also work great in that box. 800 watts rms

Have you checked out Savard Hi-Q? It can handle more power than you have, but it would work in that box really well.
this one would also work great in that box. 800 watts rms
Those both look pretty promising! Iā€™m wondering if the Dayton may work better with the box I had built for the IDMAX? Worst case scenario, if the cutout is too big, I can get one of these and glue+screw it on top of my current baffle to make it work with the Dayton? https://www.parts-express.com/Denovo-Audio-3.0-cu.-ft.-MDF-15-Subwoofer-Starter-Kit-300-7014

Dang! Iā€™m seeing a theme hare that the IDMAX may not be a good fit.
No I think it's still a good fit. The current revision (version 4) not only works well ported but likes boxes on the bigger end of the recommendation which is exactly what you have.

Unless your dropping a ton of money on electrical upgrades I don't think you have to worry about blowing it unless your clipping the signal or adding articial bass boost via headunit or bass knob.

Most stock alternators can't produce more than 40 or 50 extra amps of power anyways so it's not like you'll ever truely give this sub 1200RMS of true power.

Output of any effficent 15 inch in a large ported box I don't ever see being an issue, your not going to have to throw much power to get loud.

No I think it's still a good fit. The current revision (version 4) not only works well ported but likes boxes on the bigger end of the recommendation which is exactly what you have.

Output of any effficent 15 inch in a large ported box I don't ever see being an issue, your not going to have to throw much power to get loud.

Thatā€™s good to know!

Considering that this box was built specifically for the IDMAX15, per IDs specs, and it has some unique characteristics that are specific to that driver (like the larger cutout and shorter port), I think it makes sense to at least try it.

If it doesnā€™t work out, I will try to sell the whole thing as a package (or use it for my home theater, where I have more control in terms of placement and tuning).

Now to try and find one at a reasonable price!šŸ˜¬

So, I hate threads like this that donā€™t have a resolution, so I wanted to report back, especially to those who took the time to share your knowledge with me.

I tried to order the IDMAX15, but no one had it in stock. I called Image Dynamics directly, and they said it may take a month or more to get in a certain part that is back ordered so they can build more drivers. But even then there was no guarantee I would be able to snag one.

So, I got a Adire Brahma instead. It was the last of the previous model (the 2018-2022 MK 2.5, not the rev A) they had in stock, so I got it for a good price.

I installed it today, and I gotta say, even with a box that is not ideal for it (Andrew from Adire says the port area is too small) and even though it isnā€™t broken in yet, it sounds so much better than my last sub.

It extends lower (a very noticeable difference on Hip Hop and Reggae, less of a difference on rock/metal and other genres I listen to, but still a cleaner, more even sound) and is super low distortion.

With my previous sub, I never realized that my stock speakers were also getting bass frequencies (duh, they are not crossed over or capped). But with the Brahma, the full range speakers also trying to hit bass notes sound very dirty, because the Brahma does those same notes without distortion. I had to order some capacitors to roll off the base on my main speakers so they leave the low end to the Brahma.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Brahma 15, and may eventually get a box that is made specifically for it.

Thanks for all the advice!

Attachments

• 7C77DE0A-0604-42C5-8588-0EAA943385D5.jpeg
    7C77DE0A-0604-42C5-8588-0EAA943385D5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • 21BBD13E-9BD8-4EF8-8D81-C381D219530A.jpeg
    21BBD13E-9BD8-4EF8-8D81-C381D219530A.jpeg
    838.2 KB · Views: 26
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Bassthoven