Second Agm battery question

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys.

So im about to order my AGM batteries.

Can i mix up different brands and amp hours for my audio system?

I know its better to stick to one make and ah as its easier.

But i can make a one time order for these batteries for where i live as i have a container coming my way.

I dont think i can order that brand a second time as local available batts are different.

So yeah wondering if its possible and if any harm can be done.

Thanks for any input till now.

Any time you run multiple batteries with anything like for solar battery banks, electric cars, audio systems etc you should always match your batteries and buy them all at the same time of the same make and model and the same manufacturing date. If they are different the weak one will always bring down the strong one. You probably wont notice unless youre checking these batteries all the time, but your newer, stronger one wont last as long as it would if they matched. When youre maintaining multiple batteries you check the voltages of each one individually periodically and any that have degraded should be removed and replaced with a matching one because it will bring down all the others. Its not as big a deal with just 2 batteries and you probably will be fine, but the convention is to match the batteries for longer life.

*Disclaimer*

Im somewhat inexperienced compared to a lot of people here in the world of car audio, but I work with large battery banks at my job for a fortune 500 company and this is what we do.

Any time you run multiple batteries with anything like for solar battery banks, electric cars, audio systems etc you should always match your batteries and buy them all at the same time of the same make and model and the same manufacturing date. If they are different the weak one will always bring down the strong one. You probably wont notice unless youre checking these batteries all the time, but your newer, stronger one wont last as long as it would if they matched. When youre maintaining multiple batteries you check the voltages of each one individually periodically and any that have degraded should be removed and replaced with a matching one because it will bring down all the others. Its not as big a deal with just 2 batteries and you probably will be fine, but the convention is to match the batteries for longer life.
*Disclaimer*

Im somewhat inexperienced compared to a lot of people here in the world of car audio, but I work with large battery banks at my job for a fortune 500 company and this is what we do.
Simply checking voltage doesn't tell you anything unless one or more cells in the battery are dead. Load testing is what you need to do.

Recently, I pulled my bank of batteries and load tested each one separate. 2 of the 31 cranked almost nothing (~50 amps each) and one only cranked 375. I just took them into work for scrap. The rest tested 400+ and were good to go back in.

All three batteries were resting at a perfectly good voltage.

Also, if just replacing the bad batteries like you say, the new ones are going to get drawn down by the old ones.

Companies we deal with replace them banks at a time and send in the "good" cores in to us at a discount. The owner usually sells the good ones to armature solar enthusiasts who want to live off the grid and want something cheap. Or, in my case, I bought a pallet of used C&D UPS batteries for my system //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Well do banks at a time depending on the age of the batteries, a lot of times we just replace a bad one if were less than a year into the banks operation. My company has money, but they always try to save it when they can.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Kenyanbasshead
Nairobi
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
imsickofweed
Screenshot_20240609-212906.png