RX8 subwoofer recommendation

kpete

Hello everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster.

To make a long story short, I recently bought a 08 Mazda RX8. Due to limited trunk space, and my tastes changing, I need to downsize my setup. The last time I bought equipment was about 4 years ago. I currently have:

Sundown 1500d

Sundown 100.4

(2) Fi 12" BL's

Image Dynamics 6.5 components

Originally my plan was to just swap it all in to my new car. I made the noob mistake of making a box to fit the space I wanted it in, only to realize I can't fit it inside the car. That was a few months ago.

I found I really appreciate this new found thing called trunk space. I really don't need a big setup any more. Although it is blasphemy, I'm pretty content with the stock sound system at this point, so I'm just wanting to add a small subwoofer setup.

I would appreciate some input, specifically:

Current setup: Stock everything, Already wired with Kicker hyperflex 1/0 and Audiocontrol LC7i LOC (wire and LOC reused from my old setup)

Budget: $200-300

Equipment: Single 10, or pair of 8's, Would like to reuse one of the amps I have if possible. If not, no big deal, add another $200 on the budget.

Goals: Decent output, more geared toward SQ vs SPL, small foot print for more trunk space. I have a 32" wide x 13" tall x 9" top 14" bottom space I would like to put it in

I would like recommendations on a decent 10 or pair of 8's, as well as what to do as far as an amp. Normally I would just research the crap out of it myself, but between remodeling my house and spending time with the family I just don't have the time.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should mention I'm content just running a sealed setup.

Another good option is the SD 8. Two of those would net you a little more cone area and volume in a small enclosure while keeping SQ. Sundown says the SD 8 is their lowest distortion 8 and works well in compact sealed or ported enclosures.

Also check some of the Digital Designs sub's for an SQ build. Not sure if they are in your price range, but they're excellent sub's from everybody says.

Your 1500d should be more than enough for what you're looking at doing.

Thanks for the recommendations. Sorry for not replying sooner, had family in from out of town and it was crazy.

I think I'm going to pick up a pair of Sundown 8's and call it a day. Run them at 4 ohm on my Sundown 1500d.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.