Running 2 ohm & 4 ohm door speakers in a 5 channel amp..

Participant count
  • Participant list

kdc_619
10+ year member

I didn't realize when I bought all my stuff that I bought a set of 2 ohm kicker door speakers and a set of 4 ohm RF door speakers. I wired everything up and it sounds good but I was wondering how big of a mistake is that in the long run? What affect if any is this going to have on my 5 channel? Just want to make sure I'm mot going to blow the amp..

I got one set of speakers free but they didn't have matching speakers in the right size for the second set. Can't argue with free right.

The amp is the Kenwood KAC 700.

Not a crazy good amp but it works for my everyday needs.

Yeah free is always good. I gotta free amp myself.

Anywho, that amp is 2 ohm stable. So as long as it is 2 ohm stable don't see why not.

Nice.

Actually perhaps you can explain it to me. On a 4/5 channel amp, does each individual channel see the ohm of the speaker separately or do all the speakers on their respective channels affect the whole? Say like, this speaker is a single 2 on channel one and this speaker is a single 4 on channel two...so channel one puts out x amount of watts 2 ohms and channel 2 puts out x amount of watts at 4 ohms? If that makes sense...I apologize if that was confusing but I'm still learning...

Whatever your impedance your speaker(s) is/are wired, that amp will "see".

So if I had a 4 ohm speaker wired to the amp, that's what the amp will "see".

If I had a 2.7 ohm speakers wired to my amp, it will "see" that 2.7 ohm.

In a short sentence, it depends how speakers are wired for a final ohm load to your amp. Same thing with subs. If you have DVC or SVC, just depends how their wired. More subs someone has, the more complicated the wiring to final ohm load to the amp it becomes.

Ooh Ok, so this channel will see 2 ohms with that speaker and this channel will see 4 ohms with the other speaker and so on. I got it. I really appreciate you help, the deeper I dive into car audio the more I realize I don't know haha

If/when I upgrade to this 2000 watt system, I'll get 2 more 2 ohm speakers. I'm geared up for it.. mechman 240 amp, 0 guage, kinetik 1800. I just have to save up for a good quality mono amp instead of this "get me by" hifonics amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.