Role Cage Idea To Stop Flexing

BassAddictJ
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
FL
for some of us, the flex is nice, but for others, its not helping. in my car the spot where the roof meets near the top of the windshield takes it the hardest. though it may only be moving about an inch, something has to be done about the noise it creates. its a loud slaping noise that it's annoying on the outside as it is inside.

so how about make a role cage type deal and get it as close as possible to the roof up front and weld that ****er to the car? id be willing to sacrifice some headline up front for the cause. if so, hopefully home depot or lowes has some kind of metal that might fit the bill closely. across the roof/windown boarder is curved a bit., that may be an obstical. any recommendations on particular metal cuts thatd b e at homedepot or lowes that would be used for a normal role cage? ideas,comments,concerns?

if i'm lucky there'll be a nice noticable increase in SPL since that point will be renforced. not to mention just in case i go a roling, ill be safe //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

take the headliner out.

youll notice that the roof is "ribbed" from side to side.

if you weld strips of metal tubing between the ribs, you should notice a difference.

and that wouldnt cost you much, and.,......you should benefit a lot

-Robin

If you weld tubing in spots its going to do nothing but rip the sheet metal...

Only way you can really stop that is by re-inforcing it with some thicker metal and try to fill the void up between the panels with spray foam and use some sound deadener products from a company like second-skin.

take the headliner out.
youll notice that the roof is "ribbed" from side to side.

if you weld strips of metal tubing between the ribs, you should notice a difference.

and that wouldnt cost you much, and.,......you should benefit a lot

-Robin

If you're set on welding something in that's the route I'd take. Although I'm betting you'll end up repainting the roof and/or warping it unless you're VERY careful.

Why would the metal "rip" if he welds in supports? As long as the entire roof acts as one solid structure it'll be fine. Tossing in a few pieces that take the entire load of the flexing would cause issues though.

hmmm.interesting stuff....more commnts plz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you really want a roll cage I can weld you up one nice and proper...but the entire interior needs to get stripped and your going to have some nice holes through your dash....

You should see my miata now, lol

If you're set on welding something in that's the route I'd take. Although I'm betting you'll end up repainting the roof and/or warping it unless you're VERY careful.
Why would the metal "rip" if he welds in supports? As long as the entire roof acts as one solid structure it'll be fine. Tossing in a few pieces that take the entire load of the flexing would cause issues though.
Not going to have a solid weld all the way across the structure, just a few points...unless he wants to warp the roof and paint the whole thing again.

The flexing will cause the metal to fatigue and do something like scottie's doors do.

uh.....just use a few layers of deadener on the WHOLE car...or just the roof, but your car flexes like mad, i saw it.

welding ANYTHING on your car panels = repaint. painters don't like roofs btw. minus the rockers, it is by far the worst to spray, comfort wise.

this idea may work for the major competitors, but not for you. wouldn't be worth it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.