Rockford P2s in ported box

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hopefully I can get a sundown. I wanna eventually get 2 SA Nightshade 15s in the back of my Scion tC which is so tiny that the windshields will probably crack. Have you ever heard sundowns in person? Also thanks a lot for your help.
This was a single RF T2 15" on a T1000.1bd in a 02 corolla and that's with back seats that don't fold down.

P6170006.jpg

really? I posted the vids in the thread...showing for me fine....
Here are the direct links:

First vid of 2 10s where alarms were set off: Dayton Reference HO 10s in the SQ tC - YouTube

2nd vid of 2 10s: Dayton Reference HO 10s in the SQ tC pt. 2 - YouTube

Vid of SA-8s: Sundown Sa-8 s flexxin the Scion tC - YouTube
I'll check those links out in a bit. Wow, I honestly don't know what to say about these P2s. I'm in love with them. I don't know if I wanna sell them anymore. Such a high SPL. So loud. Question, I'm using a JBL 300 watt 1 channel amp to push them. I turned loudness on mid because it makes the subs and my speakers sound better. Is that gonna mess up my subs?

I'll check those links out in a bit. Wow, I honestly don't know what to say about these P2s. I'm in love with them. I don't know if I wanna sell them anymore. Such a high SPL. So loud. Question, I'm using a JBL 300 watt 1 channel amp to push them. I turned loudness on mid because it makes the subs and my speakers sound better. Is that gonna mess up my subs?
If you're satisfied with them, dont change them. That's one thing I've learned in doing audio.....

As far as messing up your subs, the "loud" feature is basically a booster that boosts the low frequencies as well as the high ones...will it blow something? It can, just like bass boost. How did you set your gain on the amp?

If you're satisfied with them, dont change them. That's one thing I've learned in doing audio.....
As far as messing up your subs, the "loud" feature is basically a booster that boosts the low frequencies as well as the high ones...will it blow something? It can, just like bass boost. How did you set your gain on the amp?
I'm pretty sure my gain is less than half way. It goes from like either 4v or 5v to 240mv

I used to like 15s... but after hearing these tens (which I never expected to be loud at all) and hearing how good they sound, I'm honestly thinking tens are the best size sub. They're so responsive. Especially for dubstep.

I'm pretty sure my gain is less than half way. It goes from like either 4v or 5v to 240mv
So, u didn't use a DMM or anything to set your gains? just set it to a random spot? Be careful with that. You'll probably wanna try setting your gain with a DMM method (search for the method, its been explained numerous times on many forums).

The reason I asked about your gain is that , if u insist on using the loudness feature, you could back off of your gain a tad to compensate for the boost you're pushing through there, but if your subs start to sound crazy distorted or ya start smelling weird burning smells; chances are your gain is too high and the loudness feature is only making it worse and you're gonna blow a sub or both...

I used to like 15s... but after hearing these tens (which I never expected to be loud at all) and hearing how good they sound, I'm honestly thinking tens are the best size sub. They're so responsive. Especially for dubstep.
its all in the box man. You can make any sub size sound good, if you do it right. Don't fall into the "10s hit punchy bass, and 15's hit low bass" crap that gets spread around so much. That's why we have ppl with no clue riding around with all different sub sizes and types for absolutely no reason. My local area is ridiculous with the 15s....they won't buy anything unless its a 15 b/c they don't know any better....

So, u didn't use a DMM or anything to set your gains? just set it to a random spot? Be careful with that. You'll probably wanna try setting your gain with a DMM method (search for the method, its been explained numerous times on many forums).
The reason I asked about your gain is that , if u insist on using the loudness feature, you could back off of your gain a tad to compensate for the boost you're pushing through there, but if your subs start to sound crazy distorted or ya start smelling weird burning smells; chances are your gain is too high and the loudness feature is only making it worse and you're gonna blow a sub or both...

its all in the box man. You can make any sub size sound good, if you do it right. Don't fall into the "10s hit punchy bass, and 15's hit low bass" crap that gets spread around so much. That's why we have ppl with no clue riding around with all different sub sizes and types for absolutely no reason. My local area is ridiculous with the 15s....they won't buy anything unless its a 15 b/c they don't know any better....
I'll do the DMM thing. I have a friend who is somewhat an audiophile. After I got the subs he was riding infront with me and another friend was riding in the back. They both said they were the best subs they've ever heard and there is no distortion; I didn't hear any either. Do you still stick with tens? I think I'm gonna stay with tens. If I wanna get louder I'll just get another 10 or 2. I'm hitting some amazing lows and outrageous highs on these things. To be honest, I don't know if it's just me or what but my friends old type R with MRP 1000 may be really loud, but in some songs my P2s definitely take the cake for SPL.

I'll do the DMM thing. I have a friend who is somewhat an audiophile. After I got the subs he was riding infront with me and another friend was riding in the back. They both said they were the best subs they've ever heard and there is no distortion; I didn't hear any either. Do you still stick with tens? I think I'm gonna stay with tens. If I wanna get louder I'll just get another 10 or 2. I'm hitting some amazing lows and outrageous highs on these things. To be honest, I don't know if it's just me or what but my friends old type R with MRP 1000 may be really loud, but in some songs my P2s definitely take the cake for SPL.
I'm a fan of setups with 2 10s or single 12s in the tC, which is what I'd decided to stick with when I got ready to rebuild. Either of those should be just fine for you when setup correctly...

The P2s can get decently loud (local to me was hitting mid 140's on the meter with a couple P2s) and, most importantly, if you like them...keep them.

I'm a fan of setups with 2 10s or single 12s in the tC, which is what I'd decided to stick with when I got ready to rebuild. Either of those should be just fine for you when setup correctly...
The P2s can get decently loud (local to me was hitting mid 140's on the meter with a couple P2s) and, most importantly, if you like them...keep them.
I'm thinking of going with 2 more p2 10s if you think I can fit them. Thanks a lot for all your advice man. You've been a big help and make more sense than anyone here. I'll look up the DMM method. I love your setup in your tC. It's weird because your school (I'm guessing it's your school) uses the same parking passes as us.

I'm thinking of going with 2 more p2 10s if you think I can fit them. Thanks a lot for all your advice man. You've been a big help and make more sense than anyone here. I'll look up the DMM method. I love your setup in your tC. It's weird because your school (I'm guessing it's your school) uses the same parking passes as us.
No problem man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I wouldn't run any more than 2 10s in the tC with out gutting the spare tire well or removing the back seats. If u really want to get louder, get a ported box professionally designed for those p2s and give them at least their rated power and see how u like them....or if u want to stick with 10s setups, you could always get better 10s, more power and, either way, a professionally designed box.

2 10s in a good box will trump 4 10s suffocating in a box not built to specs

There are a few box builders on this forum who could help u out: Buck, Pro-rabbit, Mobile enclosurs, RAM_designs......

No problem man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I wouldn't run any more than 2 10s in the tC with out gutting the spare tire well or removing the back seats. If u really want to get louder, get a ported box professionally designed for those p2s and give them at least their rated power and see how u like them....or if u want to stick with 10s setups, you could always get better 10s, more power and, either way, a professionally designed box.

2 10s in a good box will trump 4 10s suffocating in a box not built to specs

There are a few box builders on this forum who could help u out: Buck, Pro-rabbit, Mobile enclosurs, RAM_designs......
Do boxes really help that much? I've heard that a box can change the sound so much it doesn't even sound like the same subs. I'm so excited I finally went with these two tens. My friend has been telling me since I got in to car audio (I'm not that big in it as in I don't go much. Been dealing with it for give or take 6 or 7 months.) to go with two tens. I must say, they turn heads and move quick.

Listening to you and reading some other threads, there is a lot to learn. A long time ago, I thought it was simple as screwing some decent subs in a box, finding an amp that'll power them, and turn up and down the adjustments until it sounds clean. Now I see how much more there is LOL. It can be so complicated.

I'm powering these things with a JBL 300.1. So that means ofcourse it's putting out 300W to one channel. Does that mean it's putting out 300W to both of the subs, or 150W to each?

Also, I think in my next class I'm gonna do the DMM gain method.

Do boxes really help that much? I've heard that a box can change the sound so much it doesn't even sound like the same subs. I'm so excited I finally went with these two tens. My friend has been telling me since I got in to car audio (I'm not that big in it as in I don't go much. Been dealing with it for give or take 6 or 7 months.) to go with two tens. I must say, they turn heads and move quick.
Listening to you and reading some other threads, there is a lot to learn. A long time ago, I thought it was simple as screwing some decent subs in a box, finding an amp that'll power them, and turn up and down the adjustments until it sounds clean. Now I see how much more there is LOL. It can be so complicated.

I'm powering these things with a JBL 300.1. So that means ofcourse it's putting out 300W to one channel. Does that mean it's putting out 300W to both of the subs, or 150W to each?

Box is the most important part. You are putting 150 to each sub

Yes, boxes make a HUGE difference. You can get the world's most powerful sub and put it in a crappy box and have someone get louder than u with bottom of the line sub. Be sure to have a good box despite what subs you run.

Lots of ppl think its that simple and when its not loud enough, instead of fixing the sucky box, they stuff more and more subs in until they feel like its loud; the sad part comes when the guy with 6 12s stuffed in his trunk gets outdone by 2 properly set up 10s.

If the amp does 300wrms into one channel, that means 150 to each sub as they are sharing those 300w.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.