RockFord fosgate punch 45

Hello, I would like to know what do you all think about pushing two 12 inch kenwood subs with a rockford fosgate punch 45? will i burn the amplifier? should i switch to a sony Xplod 1000 watt amp? and how many watts does the 45 put out? Thanks.
well, it depends on the age of the amp. If it is one that is 20yrs old, it will be a crap shoot on how it holds up. You might get lucky. If you are asking about the ability if the amp, I will tell you this. The Punch 45 is what got me hooked on car audio 27 years ago. The first "demo" car built in this area by a local shop was a candy apple red custom '68 Mustang. The dude ran 8 Punch 12's on 1 Punch 45 and had another Punch 45 on the mids and highs. It was the best sounding 90 watt system I have heard to this day.

Ive had them hooked up for two months now and its been fine. But do you think they will sound better with a 1000 watt sony Xplod amp??
I cannot give you an unbiased answer to that question. The Punch 45 is very underrated and the xplodes I have played with were very overrated....I think the primary difference will be better SQ on behalf of the 45 and it will probably edge out the explode in output if it were used to it's max potential. I would stick with the 45

what year/exact model is the rockford? i'm sure it is highly underrated, but need to know to tell you what it would actually put out at what ohm loads. also, just to make sure: I/we are assuming the kenwood subs are single 4ohm. btw, port it, but port it properly.

I don't think there was a "bad" punch 45. We used to abuse the hell out of them and they really got the job done. Don't waste your time with Xplod anything please.

when you port an enclosure, there is claculations. for starters, you have to be in range of ported box volume for the sub in question, then tune to a good frequency by length, and have the port opening area in a proper ratio of sq/in per cu/ft. there have not been bad punch 45's, but there are originals and then the punch 25(to life) anniversary edition. makes a little difference, as they are completely different amps.

The questions posed here about which "Punch 45" the OP is referring to is valid. There have been several iterations of the Punch 45 since 1985 and most recently the 2005 Special edition version called the "25 to Life" Punch 45. Most versions of the Punch 45 put out 130-150w bridged at 4 ohms with exception of the "25 to Life" version as it does 260-280 bridged at 4 ohms. Although not rated to handle 2 ohm mono loads, most could but don't put out much more than at 4 ohm bridged.

As for the "1000 watt" Sony Explod, I have no idea what power it actually puts out, but most likely in the 200-300w bridged RMS range.

I'm planning at some point in the future to test some of the cheap, big power rating amps from Sony, Boss, Power Acoustik, etc. to see what kind of continuous power they put out as "Max" means nothing. Most of us know many of these amps are basically junk, but based on the sales numbers of these amps it would be nice to show people what they are actually buying...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.