RMS Wattage @ 12 volts vs. 14.4

mason_msw
10+ year member

im broke....
Okay I have a quick question, I have 2 Infinity Perfect 10.1's and they take a reccomended 350 WRMS. Many poeple say they do great with up to 500 WRMS without decreasing life span signifigantly. Now heres the thing, I like to keep all nice matching everything and was hoping to get an Infinity amp and there are 2 models that fit my needs (well sort of) There is the 610a which pushes 657WRMS @ 2ohms which isnt't quite enough. Then there is the 1210a which pushes 1300 WRMS @ 2ohms mono. This is way overkill but what I was wondering is what would the wattage really be like on a 12 volt system since they are measured on a 14.4 volt system. I was hoping it would be somewhere in the right range for my subs (looking for about 400-500 WRMS @ 2ohms) Thanks!

lower. Amps that are rated at 12v will have the ability to produce more power with higher input voltage.
ASSUMING they have an unregulated power supply. Regulated power supply amps will put out relatively the same power regardless.

Most Cars run around 13.5 volts give or take with the system on, here are some specs for the Alpine MRD-501. You can see the difference that the voltage makes. It can be 10-20% difference in wattage.

RMS Power Rating (measured at 14.4V):

Into a 4-Ohm Load: 275 watts x 1

Into a 2-Ohm Load: 550 watts x 1

RMS Power Rating (measured at 12.0V):

Into a 4-Ohm Load: 225 watts x 1

Into a 2-Ohm Load: 425 watts x 1

So its probably not enough of a drop so that the 1210a would match up on wattage to my perfects? I guess the 610a will do then (won't draw as many amps either) This works, thanks for all the input.

Okay I will probably be getting the 610a but I had another question. I was looking at amps on ebay and I saw someone selling the 1210a who claims he had it wired to 3 subs at under 2 ohms. The 1210a is only rated down to 2ohms but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on me running another perfect which would make the load 1 1/3 ohms and the wattage just where I need it (about 430 WRMS a sub). Do you think the amp would work at all and if so would it last? Thanks again!

It is not worth voiding the warranty and causing problems. It's like smoking. Why do it if it's going to kill you???
because smoking is cool //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.