RMS rated 6.5 components

Im wanting to say my comps only say their rms is 150 but i never had an issue sending 300 per side //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i had 300 watts on tap anyway. i doubt i ever used more than 125ish

Im wanting to say my comps only say their rms is 150 but i never had an issue sending 300 per side //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
i had 300 watts on tap anyway. i doubt i ever used more than 125ish
this lol.. but I only send mine eh.. 25 watts lol.. straight h.u power for my xs'

from my understanding it's 100w each, cause the crossover splits the frequencies not the power.
understandable but.. what happens when they are both playing at the same time? the power is split.. it can't just magically double itself..

well my bad I won't say split I will say shared as its not evenly split.. its split depend what frequencies are played and what kinda power etc etc.. the power is shared based on that

Answer is in the stickies:

Passive Crossovers
Ok, passive crossover networks are unpowered crossovers (i.e. no external power source) that split the frequencies between the speakers in a component set. They send the higher frequencies to the tweeter and the lower frequencies to the mid(s). They accomplish this by using a combination of capacitors and coils to create certain crossover points and slopes. They are wired in line with the speakers, between the speakers and the amplifier. The amplifier's output is connected to the passive's input, then the mid(s) and tweeter are connected to the passive's output.

Now, when two speakers (a mid and a tweeter) are on a passive crossover, the mid and tweeter are not wired in series or parallel. Two 4ohm speakers (a mid and a tweet) do not make a 2ohm load or an 8ohm load. Two 4ohm speakers on a passive crossover network create a 4ohm load on the amplifier. Two 8ohm speakers on a passive xover create an 8ohm load. A 4ohm mid and 8ohm tweeter on a passive xover creates a 4ohm load for the mid's frequencies and an 8ohm load for the tweeter frequencies. Reason for this has to do with the fact that passive's are based on frequency distribution and not power distribution.

When you have components sets with passive crossovers, the power from the amp is not split between the speakers. If you have a 70 watt amp, then each speaker is going to receive 70 watts (assuming all speakers are the same impedance). If you are sending 70 watts @ 4ohm to the component set, and the mid is 4ohm and the tweeter is 8ohm, then the mid will receive 70 watts but the tweeter will only receive 35 watts.

This probably isn't a very technical explanation….but it gets the point across none-the-less Let's pretend theoretically that we are running a 70 watt @ 4ohm amp full range. That amp (theoretically) puts out 70 watts at all frequencies at 4ohms, correct?? Now, pretend that we are running that amp to a component set (with all 4ohm speakers) through a passive crossover with a crossover point of 3500hz. So, we are taking that full range signal from the amp and splitting up the frequencies between the mid and tweet at 3500hz. Now, since we are splitting the frequencies and nothing else, there is still going to be 70 watts worth of power at all frequencies below the crossover point and at all frequencies above the crossover point, just the same as there was before we split the signal (since it was putting out 70w at all frequencies).

Answer is in the stickies:
that doesnt make sense . . if you have a midbass that is 100rms and a tweeter that is 100 rms , and an amp that is 100 rms how are they both going to recive 100rms , isnt it the same as two 100 rms 12's that are wired together, they would still only see 100rms total (50 each ?)

No, its not the same. Those two subs are playing the same frequency range.
um each sub would only see 50 watts. ur making it sund as if we run 1000 watt amp to two 12's then both subs are seeng 1000 watts a piece. they play the same frequency yes but they also split the power. u don't buy a 1000 watt amp andit magicly send 1000 watts to each sub.

It makes perfect sense. The tweeter is only going to play certain frequencies, as will the mid. The passive crossover splits the frequencies. The amplifier is going to produce a given root mean square wattage at all frequencies. The job of the passive crossover is to split those frequencies for the given drivers. Like Squeak said, assuming the mid and tweeter are the same impedance, they will receive the same given wattage from the amp. The mid will receive every frequency up to the cutoff point at that given wattage; the tweeter will receive every frequency from the cutoff point on up at the given wattage. Passive crossovers divide frequencies, not power. I guess it's a hard concept for people to understand.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.