Rivet nut/nutsert

Participant count
  • Participant list

noble brown

Senior VIP Member
I need to install two 5/16" rivet nuts in the trunk of my 07 Buick but the recommended material thickness says .200" thick or greater and the sheet metal I don't think is anywhere near that. More like .025 or so. Am I still good. Anyone have any experience?

Assuming you are talking about riv-nuts like they use in the auto industry(A threaded nut that you crimp into place that accepts a bolt). You could use a small piece of sheet metal to beef up the area you plan to attach them just to be safe. If you are talking about regular rivets just use a fender washer.

Get some jack nuts or grip inserts.
I will have to look into jack nuts. Never heard of them. Grip inserts look like rivet nuts but the outside diameter is splined right? I was afraid they wouldn't hold well.

What rivet nuts do you have? I have a kit that works fine in sheet metal like that.
It's an old Mac tool kit. Can't even find the original nutserts for it. Or a replacement mandrel. There is just a few random nutserts left and two of them happen to be just what I need but the kit only recommends that size nutsert for .200 and larger. That is thick as hell. It's a 5/16-18 nutsert.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

noble brown

Senior VIP Member
noble brown
Hermitage, pa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from