car stereo hard wired, causing electrical issues.

Participant count
  • Participant list
So, I hard wired a pioneer deck to a 2002 Chevrolet S10 pickup. The ONLY way I could get the deck to turn on was to wire the trucks ignition, illuminator and constant wires together,

Into the decks constant and ignition wires together. Everything worked fine but my deck would not save the settings or time when the truck was turned off.(must be the constant). A problem I had was my engine lights would all turn on, rpm and spedometer needles would go up and down every time I started the truck. A couple weeks later my truck would have trouble starting when it hadn't been running for a while (ie:eek:vernight). This included a rough scratching noise when turning the ignition. I figured I would just take the deck out And Wait to reinstall until I had the right harness and reverse harness. Now, the only way I can get my dashboard lights and gauges to work correctly, is by crimping the trucks ignition, constant, illuminator, and dimmer all together.The starting problem and dashboard lights/gauges problem are still happening. My question is... What is making it do this? Is it even possible to hard wire this model? Are my starting problems and grinding noise a product of the way things are wired? If I reconnect a factory stereo plug in harness/reverse harness to the correct adapter harness, will this solve my electrical problems. I really would appreciate any helpful ideas , this has been driving me insane and I dont know exactly what steps to take, or who to contact to fix all this if I am incapable to solve this issue. Thank you.

It's not just for onstar. Since 2002, Chevy has used a digital communication to the radio which is likely why you've had a hard time. Safety chimes and other warnings are included in the factory radio. Turn-on is digital, not simple 12V switched ignition.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.