right speakers for amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

srmd22
10+ year member

Boston
I've been trying to decide on replacement comps for my front doors, but I am a little confused about the power requirements.

My amp, JL Audio 500/5, puts 250x1 to the subs, 100x2 to the front and 25x2 to the rear. So, essentially 100 per channel to whatever I buy for the front.

Some are of the opinion that the Morel Tempo 6's wont do well with that power, although they are rated at 120 rms, 280 transient. CTX65CS - Image Dynamics are rated at 100/200.

Will these be overdriven, or compromised in quality with my amp? Conversely will some of the beefier amps be underdriven? I have heard that, for example the Hertz MK2's sound crappy if not enough power is delivered to them. However they are only rated at 125/250, similar to the Tempos. The Morel Dotech Ovations are rated at 140/500.

So, before I drop a few $$beans on these buggers, I want to make sure 1) they don't fry, as did my BA crappers, and 2) they get enough power to sound good.

Alright, got a reply to this over at diyma-- seems that the amps power is ok for any of these speakers, so I just have to choose between Morel, ID or Rainbows. Leaning towards Tempo 6's again, now that I am told they will work.

Still interested in opinions though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.