RF 500.2 amp/sub questions

bigriki

hey i just bought a RF Punch 500.2. Do yall think it would sound better to push one sub at 500W, or run 2 subs at 125W X 2. I just bought 2 new premier SVC 1000 W max subs. Theyre both 500W RMS.

Also, It says the amp is only bridgeable at 4 ohms, otherwise i would just bridge it at 2 ohms and push 250W X 2. Has anyone bridged this amp, or any other new punch amp, at 2 ohms? Is it safe to do so, or will i blow it up?

Thanks a lot.

or since both subs are 4 ohms, could i wire them in series and then bridge it into an 8 ohm load? Would that put 250 to each sub? Is there any way i could get 250 to each sub? thanks!

If the subs are still in the box take them back and get dual voice coils. Then you can run it in 2 ohm stereo or 4 ohms bridged.. If you wire them in series you are getting the same power from the amp as running 4 ohm stereo so dont waste your time.

Mike

The subs are still in the box, but the place i got em from wont take em back because its been more than a week!!! Is there anything else i could do? Has anyone tried to bridge this amp at 2 ohms?

You might try selling the amp and get a mono block amp that will push them a little harder..That the only thing I can think of..BTW if the shop won't take them back after only a week and they are still in the box I would tell everyone you know not to go there..That's a bunch of BS..I'd go talk to the owner and rip him a new one over stupid crap like that.

Mike

People have said that the RF amp can run fine at 2ohms bridged but I won't recommend that you run your amp outside of the manufacturer's specs. Where did you buy your subs? Most places have a 30 day return policy. If the boxes are unopened (or even if they are open), you have your reciept, and you are looking to only exchange the subs, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to take the subs back. Likr Mykeys said, track down the owner or store manager and ask what can be worked out for an exchange. If that doesn't work, then make some noise. You should be heard.

I recently purchased a RF500s and in the owner's manual it states that the amp is 2ohm stable so i'd say you should have no problem with a 2ohm load and actually the RF amps do have a reputation to achieve even less impedance ratings such as 1ohm but I'll not take the chances with mine.. :) This amp rocks my subs and I currently am running the amp at just a 4 ohm load. But always keep in mind when bridging your amp whether you are going to use a stereo or mono setup on the receiving end.

Mike

And I am the one that said it could be done at 2ohm's. I had 2 15" hx2's and I ran my 2 500a2's at 2 ohms bridged on them, they got hot but never clipped. just make sure you are running at least 8awg to the amps. Preferably 4awg from the battery. the only time I have ever had a problem with RF amps is when I ran one at 1.67ohm's and that was bridged to a box with 3 10w3's. That made the amp clip after 15-30 min of good hard pounding. They will run 2ohm, but if they mess up make sure you tell them they were running at 4ohm, becasue the RF engineers dont find it to be good ediquite running them at 2ohm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.