Review of Powermaxx EBAY HO Alternator

A nice high output alt doesn't need a smaller pulley to make more power. Just buy a DC or mechman alternator.
What are you talking about man ?? My singer alternator came with a smaller overdrive pulley and they are high quality. I'm positive all high output alternators come with overdrive pulleys, that is just one of the ways they increase output besides the windings.

Last edited by a moderator:
He put his bigger stock pulley on instead of getting a smaller belt, lol.

But I had seen these things suçk in person anyways. With the right pulley.
Ya no kidding, I'm sure if he puts the proper pulley back on it and gets a shorter belt it will work.....lol

I have the 180 amp alt in my Honda for the last 2 years, no problems at all.

Idle output is not great but besides that works great.

Why would you think changing the pulley was a good idea?

You didn't think it was on there to spin the alternator faster to help with output?

What you did is like installing a supercharger and changing the drive pulley to a larger one then bashing the company cause you don't make much boost. That is just dumb.

What are you talking about man ?? My singer alternator came with a smaller overdrive pulley and they are high quality. I'm positive all high output alternators come with overdrive pulleys, that is just one of the ways they increase output besides the windings.
Since my DC has the same pulley size as my stock alt that refutes your whole claim. I'm sure your singer alt is fine, but the smaller pulley is one way they can make more power without having to upgrade the internals as much.

Since my DC has the same pulley size as my stock alt that refutes your whole claim. I'm sure your singer alt is fine, but the smaller pulley is one way they can make more power without having to upgrade the internals as much.
Actually no, the overdrive pulley is used so the alternator will produce more output at a lower engine rpm. Just call and ask any of the top alternator builders, I have talked to a few of them and they all used a overdrive pulley.

Also, are you positive your dc alternator uses the exact same size pulley ? Have you actually took a caliper and measured it ? I almost guarantee it's going to be a bit smaller.

Actually no, the overdrive pulley is used so the alternator will produce more output at a lower engine rpm. Just call and ask any of the top alternator builders, I have talked to a few of them and they all used a overdrive pulley.
Also, are you positive your dc alternator uses the exact same size pulley ? Have you actually took a caliper and measured it ? I almost guarantee it's going to be a bit smaller.
It's going to be making more power at any given rpm since it will be spinning faster than the stock pulley. I measured the pulley when I installed my alt to make sure I could reuse my belt and it was the same as stock.

It's going to be making more power at any given rpm since it will be spinning faster than the stock pulley. I measured the pulley when I installed my alt to make sure I could reuse my belt and it was the same as stock.
Ya I should have said at any engine speed not just at lower engine rpm's..lol

But seriously the OP shouldn't have changed the pulley and just used the one that came with the alternator.

I'm very surprised your DC uses the same size pulley as stock. What size of alternator is yours ?

Ya I should have said at any engine speed not just at lower engine rpm's..lol
But seriously the OP shouldn't have changed the pulley and just used the one that came with the alternator.

I'm very surprised your DC uses the same size pulley as stock. What size of alternator is yours ?
I think it's only a 185. I'm not sure if all of them use the same pulley size though.

I think it's only a 185. I'm not sure if all of them use the same pulley size though.
Ya that's kinda odd it used the same size as stock. My 220 amp singer has a pulley that is smaller than my stock one and I had to get a belt that was about 1 inch shorter than stock or I would get horrible belt slip.

Let me first say I joined this forum as a way to learn and increase my knowledge of car audio and in turn spread what I have learned to others. With that being said, there is no need for all the negative remarks about swapping the pulley. There is a difference between constructive criticm and just being negative. This is my first non stock alternator ever. I have swapped alternators for other cars for people and if the pulley was too small or too large just use the stock pulley and have never had an issue with this. With that being said, If the "HO alternator" requires the a smaller pulley and shorter belt, why not include that fact with the instuctions or tell this fact to your customers? Is asking for a company to inform their customers to the most optimal application of their product?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...