resonance frequency for grand am 01

hazardous0388
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Im trying to get the TEST SPL tuning for a box in a 01 Grand Am, 2 door. The box is going to be 4 cu ft for a SSA Icon . I'm trying to design a SPL box for a competition coming up on July 8th so any info anyone can help me with would be awesome.

I was told that the best SPL tuning would be 5 hz below the resonance frequency of the vehicle, not sure how to spell resonance, but hopefully nooe gets too confused.

Thanks

Dustin

also, do it from side to side and top to bottom, if the #s you get are multiples of each other then your car was designed badly from an acoustic standpoint, but you'll have one tone that will be insane for your car (i think the honda element and scion xB would be good examples of cars with bad acoustics)

the way i did mine...

i had a sealed box with a 10" in it. played tones inside the car and recorded the spl for each. recorded tones outside the car (the same tones at the same volume) and recorded the spl for each. you will see a peak in each test. the average on the two peaks is you resonant freq.

when you make you comp. box, you want it to peak at this freq. generally tuning 5-10 hz below will get you there, but it depends on the box, sub and car. a computer program will get you a visual curve and be more accurate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.