Request for Help Configuring a Component Speaker System

Participant count
  • Participant list

2na Tacos

CarAudio.com Newbie
Old dude that installed a lot of automotive stereos back when it was an aftermarket head unit, a power amp, 6x9 3-way speakers. Now I'm trying to figure out a 2017 Fiat Spider ABARTH with a TAU and component speakers and amps.

FYI, the 2017 Fiat 124 Spider ABARTH uses the same factory audio components as the 2017 Mazda Miata MX-5.

My goal is to get the following components all working:

To try and make it a bit easier to help me I have linked each component to a vendor page so you can see details and available settings for each device.

1) Rockville db45 four channel amp, with 2 channels driving a left and right Rockville RXM68PRO mid-range speaker and two channels driving a left and right JBL CLUB750T tweeter. FYI, the tweeters came with cross-overs.​
2) Power Acoustic RZR1-2500D mono-amp to drive two 12 inch subs.​

In addition, I have the following component available if needed:

I have all the power and speaker wire run with the tweeter crossover currently installed but no problem if I need to remove them. I also have the PAC interface connected to the TAU. The PAC then feeds the Clarion EQ which has the RCA cables run to the trunk where the two amps (and possibly the 3 way x-over) reside.

Here is a pic of the trunk set up. FYI, I used the well space in the bottonm of the trunk where a mini-spare would fit to build a sealed sub-enclosure. The sub amp sits on the opposite side wall of the four channel amp. Building enclosures, running wire and fiberglass work is a cake walk for me.
But wiring component audio is a totally new to me.

Where I need help and have no clue is setting up the amps and or using the cross-over for a component system with seperate amps for Sub, mid and high.

1) Do I need to use the 3 way cross-over or can I just use the high and low pass filters on the 2 amps to get everything to work? If so, any suggestions on setting the filters​
2) If I need to use, or should use, the cross-over, same question. What setting to use on the cross-over and what settings on the amp filters.​

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you’re using the inline crossovers you can wire the tweets and mids like a comp set to one channel, if you go three way ur gonna need six channel amplification

what’s the factory audio? Factory amp? You may want to forget that loc and crossover and get something that de-equalizes to some extent

Played with it for a few hours and got it working.
Factory TAU to PAC to EQ to cross over
X-over L&R Highs (>=6K) to channel 1+2 on 4 channel amp->tweeters - removed in-line cross over
X-over L&R Mids (<=6K) to channels 3+4 on 4 channel amp->mids
X-over Lows (<120 Hz) to mono amp->subs
Downloaded an RTA Analyzer and a Tone Generator app for the phone to dial in the EQ and overall levels.
May eventually upgrade the EQ to a DSP to address speaker locations and spatial timing

Last edited:
I think what you did is fine.
Personally, I'm always skeptical of cheap processing and would have tried to avoid using the Vibe X/O.
A lot of people swear by the Parts Express DSP for 150.

"I think what you did is fine.
Personally, I'm always skeptical of cheap processing and would have tried to avoid using the Vibe X/O.
A lot of people swear by the Parts Express DSP for 150."

I agree with you. The install was initially a 'bang for the buck' install. There were obviously no high end, high price parts involved. Technically the install works but, yeah, it could definitely sound better. Biggest problem is the Fiat 124 Spider is essentially a Miata, not a lot of room and very little acoustic insulation of any kind. I've added sound mat to the doors and trunk but there is only so much weight you can add to such a small car. What sounds great in the driveway kinda $uck$ a$$ on the freeway with the top down. I was looking at the Dayton Audio DSP 4x8. Thanks for the suggestion on the Parts Express DSP. I'll look at it as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.