Replacing factory speakers

Wisconsinite

WI
Hi guys I am pretty new to car audio and was hoping you could give some recommendations on new speakers for my 3000gt. I am considering getting a pair of Polk DB651 6.5" for the doors

and Pioneer TS-A6975R 6x9s for the rear. I also am considering just getting the same pioneers up front to match as they are cheaper too. However there seem to be a lot of good reviews on the polks. What do you guys think of this set up? Do I need an amp or will my head unit be alright? My head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P8400BH. In the future I'd like to mount a small 10" sub in the trunk as well.

This sub caught my eye as it's pretty in expensive and im not trying to get super crazy with the bass

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-W254R 10-Inch Component Subwoofer with 1100 Watts Max Power: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-W254R 10-Inch Component Subwoofer with 1100 Watts Max Power: Car Electronics

Can anyone chime in if it's any good or what amp would work well with it and the other speakers I'm considering. Thanks for the input!

Do u kmow what ur head unit rms is. If its only like 12 rms id get an amp either a 5ch to do both front rears and sub or get a 4ch and then a mono block for subs either way u will need an amp kit and listening to hip hop and stuff ince u get started it becomes adicting so I would just do a 0 gauge install and big 3. My prob was I installed 8 gauge not knowing any better. Just starting off too and I had to redo with 4 I went with 4 bc I dont blast I listen mainly to country. So just go big. Bc its not the matter of if upgrade its the matter of when.

I did some more research and I think I should get the Image Dynamic CTX-6.5cs and unplug my stock rears. I am still interested in the sub I mentioned or a comparable budget 10" sub with a max mount depth of 5". I'm still lost on amps. I think I should be looking for 1000 watt 4 channel 4 ohm amp. Any recommendations?

Search around the forum and find some reviews of similar subs/amps.. Then go to the classifieds and see how much money you can save. That's how I did it with my old build. Lots of money to be saved and better products to be had

I'm still looking for an amp and sub to go with my IDs. I'm looking at the precision power p900.4 amp Precision Power PPI P900.4 (p9004) 4-Channel Phantom Car Amplifier and the pioneer 10" TS-W254R sub Pioneer TS-W254R (TSW254R) 10" Single 4 ohm Car Subwoofer. I was wondering what you guys thought of this set up? I was also looking at an infinity reference 10" sub but I read a lot of durability issues with those and the pioneer had great reviews and decent specs I think. I was hoping you guys could give me some feed back on this set up?

The amp is good but that sub is not likely to do much for you on the low end. If the cost is a concern the JBL GT5-10 is a better value. It's designed for higher Xmax than the Pioneer TS-W254R, which means it will move more air. A sealed box will take up the least space, but either of these subs will be louder in a well designed ported box. On the other had, a sealed box handles more power and it would be safer for you. The P900.4 will put out well over the RMS power rating of either the JBL or the Pioneer sub.

I'm closing out my Precision Power amplifiers, and I have one P900.4 left at 174.99.

The amp is good but that sub is not likely to do much for you on the low end. If the cost is a concern the JBL GT5-10 is a better value. It's designed for higher Xmax than the Pioneer TS-W254R, which means it will move more air. A sealed box will take up the least space, but either of these subs will be louder in a well designed ported box. On the other had, a sealed box handles more power and it would be safer for you. The P900.4 will put out well over the RMS power rating of either the JBL or the Pioneer sub.

I'm closing out my Precision Power amplifiers, and I have one P900.4 left at 174.99.

I'll most likely contact you on the amp in the next couple of days. As far as the sub goes I think I'm stuck with a sealed enclosure. I want to build a box similar to this so I have maximum trunk space.
0902081410.jpg

I think the mounting depth for the sub is probably 5.5" tops. I like to listen to a lot of electronic music and hip hop so I'd like a sub that can fit a small enclosure like that and produce clean bass under $100. I don't need bone vibrating bass, just some clean punch. Thanks for the help and I appreciate any more recommendations.

If you're looking for a dependable subwoofer that will produce smooth, deep bass, look at doing an 8" woofer in a ported enclosure. You can fit an 8" ported box in the space you have and you'll have a lot better and more pronounced bass with that than you will with the Pioneer 10 in a sealed box. The Sundown E8 is a 200 watt RMS woofer that will take twice it's RMS power all day every day and the Pioneer will not take 1100 watts on a good day.... at least not for more than about 45 seconds, I would suspect.

The PPI would be a good amp for your highs and if you're not going to amplify the rear speakers, you could by the dual two ohm E8 and run it on two channels of the PPI at 225 wpc, which would be a perfect match for that sub as far as over powering it safely.

And if not the Sundown sub, something other than a Pioneer sub would be my suggestion. I like their head units but I've never had good luck with Pioneer speakers sounding very good or holding up well, especially subs. But that's just my experience, so take it for what it's worth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.