Replacements for my Memphis 5x7s?

Participant count
  • Participant list

paperinacup
10+ year member

I had a pair of Memphis MClass 5x7 2 ways in the front door of my mustang for about 2 years now. I've been decently satisfied with them. Recently out of nowhere the mid on one of them just stop playing while I was at a car audio shop (coincidence?). They were ironically installing Memphis Mclass 6x9s on my girlfriends car so they looked at it and they said voice coil is fried. Unfortunately even though I got them from an authorized dealer I can't locate my receipt and they have no system for receipts so that means no warranty.

At this point I'm curious if I should just buy another set of MClass 5x7s or is there something better out there for my money.They were not abused so I'm kind of hesitant to buy another set of the same speakers. I am running a Memphis MCA3004 that pushes 75x4 and the most I'm looking at spending is around $150. The same shop offered me last years MClass 6 1/2 components for somewhere around $190-210 cant remember.

My doors aren't deadened or sealed (yet) and I really don't want to have to go to custom on the install. I'd like to stay 5x7 or 6x8 but would be willing to look into component sets and just use a baffle if I can't find a 5x7 that's good enough.

I'm open to any suggestions before I order another set of MClass's.

So after looking at my options I'm thinking for the front stage one of the following:

PG RSD 6.5 Components (Never heard them but for like 70 bucks might be a good deal)

Cadence CWM6 Components (Around $89 and also have pretty good reviews)

RF Power Series 6x8 (Heard a set about a year ago that sounded amazing)

And of course a seat of Memphis MClass Coaxials for around 120-130

Currently I have no rear fill but the PG RSD 5x7 Coaxials are 34.99 and free shipping. Anyone try these? Been researching the RSDs for days but can't find much about the Coaxials. For that cheap it'd be nice to have some decent sound coming from back there.

I have the RSD 5x7s in one of my vehicles (rear -- off OEM deck power). They are a really nice upgrade over stock. Deaden, and you'll be very pleased with your $35 speakers. I run the 6" up front.

Yeah for the rear I think they'll be fine. I'm kind of leaning away from the components though due to all I'm hearing regarding tweeters going out or arriving not working.

Well regardless of the fact I told myself I wasn't going to get another set of Memphis, I heard the 6.5 M Class components and bought them. Spent more than I wanted to spend on speakers but they seemed to sound the best overall of the ones I spent the day driving around listening to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.