Replacement Speaker Advice

I have an '02 Grand Prix with an aftermarket head unit and one of the door speakers is blown. I'm also a broke college kid. So I'm trying to find a decent component set that will replace the factory speakers, but in the future it'd be really nice to amplify the setup.

My question is: what is the best bang-for-your-buck option in terms of component speakers? There's the big brands like RF, Alpine, and JL, and they offer somewhat affordable solutions, but what's the real difference in speakers? I'm sure they all have different frequency responses, but what makes Alpine Spr-50c's worth $50 more than a Rockford Fosgate P152-S? Is it all just brand name? Or is the crossover superior and the build quality better on the Alpine?

I don't need tons of power handling (50 Watts RMS is plenty), as I'm not looking to blow my ears out just yet, but I would like quality, as I listen to a lot of Hardcore/Heavy Metal which can be difficult to accurately replicate at higher volumes. Thank you for any input you have to offer.

While I do like the cheaper price point, is NVX going to meet my needs? I'd rather not get something that I'm going to have to replace down the road because I'm not satisfied with the quality. Also, NVX isn't a very reputable brand.

I've been a fan of Alpine's quite some time ago...followed by MB Quart which I really liked until they started using aluminum tweeters which to my ears sounded too harsh...tried JL Audio nearly ten years ago and really liked them...back then I had components and they used metal tweeters also with I felt were too harsh so sold them and bought Memphis Audio silk tweeters which I prefer by far.

I now have a great pair of JL Audio coaxials C2-650X which were in the $160.00 range...they have silk tweeters for very smooth highs...in my opinion...and very good mid levels for the cost.

If you can listen to them I highly suggest you do...we hear differently and one person's opinion may be different than others listening to the same speaker.

I've been a fan of Alpine's quite some time ago...followed by MB Quart which I really liked until they started using aluminum tweeters which to my ears sounded too harsh...tried JL Audio nearly ten years ago and really liked them...back then I had components and they used metal tweeters also with I felt were too harsh so sold them and bought Memphis Audio silk tweeters which I prefer by far.I now have a great pair of JL Audio coaxials C2-650X which were in the $160.00 range...they have silk tweeters for very smooth highs...in my opinion...and very good mid levels for the cost.

If you can listen to them I highly suggest you do...we hear differently and one person's opinion may be different than others listening to the same speaker.
Comp Sets under 500 dollars, aluminium tweets usually dont sound very good unless you have massive Digital Signal Processing capabilities to tame them. The expensive higher end aluminium dome tweets sound very smooth and natural but its $$$. Silk, ring radiators and textile domes generally sound very good at a great price point. partsexpress and madisound.com has some nice drivers that easily rival many of the mid level hertz, CDT, JL and PHD stuff.

While I do like the cheaper price point, is NVX going to meet my needs? I'd rather not get something that I'm going to have to replace down the road because I'm not satisfied with the quality. Also, NVX isn't a very reputable brand.
rockford low tier speakers are weak and underbuilt with poor quality. Most of their funds are spent on marketing to noobs and vacationing lavishly.

For an example here's a rockford fosgate P2 sub

How long any speaker lasts depends on how good your install along with how you treat your system. Most of us here dont even touch mainstream brands like alpine, kicker, rockford, JL and all our gear lasts longer than our system and move on to other people's systems. thats easily 5+ years. There's always much MUCH better for the money price and performance wise.

After re-reading my post I'd change "harsh" to "bright"...harsh is incorrect...

There are some very decent separates that are available at a reasonable price...$250.00ish more or less.

Morel maximo . Ive had a few cheaper side components. Image dynamic, rockford, infiniti. And a few others.maorel maximo was the best ive had for under 200. You can amp them or putem to your head unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.