Repair disconnected rubber suround

bass maniak
10+ year member

Team Poundin Sound
Just wondering what everyone has used & had great luck with on repairing a disconnected rubber suround. I have a pair of kicker l5s that I bought that some jerk off glued the kicker grills on, so when I tried to remove them....BAM. The whole plastic gasket came off with it leading to further damage to the suround glue seperating.

Long story short, after taking a serious beating for spl purposes they have completely disconnected from the basket.

I have tried a few different glues with no real luck yet, They usaully last a day or 2 tops. So I am looking into my options for repairing this problem.

I have heard using gorilla glue but never used this myself to date.

I have heard of using sillicone or rtv gasket but havent tried on keeping a suround to the basket yet.

The best thing I can think of is using 2 part epoxy or jb weld to keep the suround to the baskets.

Lets see some input for people who have tried various products or even just one that worked great.

Thanks.

Dont really feel like taking pics, the suround is seperated all the way around the basket. Pretty simple. Everything else is fine.

I have tried some glues / adhesives with no luck because they come off again. I just want to know from some people who have done this before what they used & how well it did or didnt work.

Does anyone have any real info?

Im running street stock b with this setup & am only a few points of a db off from breaking records in this class. Can only used 2.5" vc & no competition grade subwoofers.

I am not gonna change subs when im already so close. Once they are glued they meter the same, I dont lose db from the repair untill they come seperated again.

I would appreciate some info from some one who actually has somthing usefull to say with some experiance with this.

I need to do the same thing for my RFR2212 Punch Power DVC 12, I put the screws in at a fairly steep angle so when I took the sub out, the screws backed out and pulled the cork up which was very very securely fastened to the rubber surround, and pulled it up in a few spots about 1-2" each. Superglue is not FTMFW so I guess I need to find an alternative... ca glue for about 4" of fix seems to be expensive.

Thanks for all the info & im running db drag. If you actually read I say untill they seperate I dont lose any db.

I was hoping to find an alternative as well that I could pick up at a hardware store or somthing because im in canada & dont really want to order online.

Where could I purchase ca glue? Also no one has used epoxy as easy alternative with success? I cant recone kickers anyway so its not a problem if it cant be removed after.

Well tried epoxy today, was an epic fail. Lasted 1 song & a corner came off repaired it tried one all out burp & a whole flap came off.

Was HORRABLE clean up to.

Seal all didnt work / contact cement didnt work.

I tried so no name brand superglue as a last attempt & its actually holding EXTREMEY well. I gave it 4 all out burps double rms max excursion & it held like a champ.

A little air leak around some spots but this is where the RTV or some type of sealant can come into play, the main part was getting it to hold down.

I Will seal it all up & see how it does over the next few days but im looking into grabbing another set of l5s to run or might go with 4 12 l3s for this class.

I am already sick of attempting to repair these things...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.