Remove glued on fabric

I just realized that if I just cut the speaker holes out of the old fabric I can simply cover the entire thing with the new fabric so I don't really need to remove it.🤦‍♂️ I can even spend a little extra cash and get like some nice chrome speaker grills or something like that to cover up the hole instead of just using the grill fabric

Oops, guess this was a nonstarter from the beginning.😬

I don't know what's worse; that I didn't think of it immediately or that it took 2 days to figure out. 😂

Lewis King

Didn't come out too bad. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220727_134236.jpg
    20220727_134236.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 30
I just realized that if I just cut the speaker holes out of the old fabric I can simply cover the entire thing with the new fabric so I don't really need to remove it.🤦‍♂️ I can even spend a little extra cash and get like some nice chrome speaker grills or something like that to cover up the hole instead of just using the grill fabric

Oops, guess this was a nonstarter from the beginning.😬

I don't know what's worse; that I didn't think of it immediately or that it took 2 days to figure out. 😂

Lewis King
Deff much easier to go over the existing. You can find Grills used or new that have never been used on Ebay fairly cheap. i may have some laying around also that may work for you on the Cheapies.You can paint any grill any color you want easily also.

Did you use a roller at all?? A Ping Ball works also and a spoon in the crevices/corners
I did use a roller. I used gorilla glue heavy duty spray adhesive and I followed the instructions exactly. I thought I was pretty liberal with the amount of glue that I used but I missed like 2 spots and they both show.

It worked pretty well for the most part the difficulty was making sure to put enough pressure on the parts where there's a curve or indentation so that it sticks when you move on to another part.

This was my first time ever doing anything of this nature. I thought I was gonna mess it up and have to go find a new one at the junkyard. 😂

Once I finished I decided that I like it as it is right now. It's pretty clean, simple and I like how it looks. So I'm not cutting holes for speaker grills I'm gonna let them play through the grill cloth.

Thanks for the feedback man that's awesome!

Lewis King

I did use a roller. I used gorilla glue heavy duty spray adhesive and I followed the instructions exactly. I thought I was pretty liberal with the amount of glue that I used but I missed like 2 spots and they both show.

It worked pretty well for the most part the difficulty was making sure to put enough pressure on the parts where there's a curve or indentation so that it sticks when you move on to another part.

This was my first time ever doing anything of this nature. I thought I was gonna mess it up and have to go find a new one at the junkyard. 😂

Once I finished I decided that I like it as it is right now. It's pretty clean, simple and I like how it looks. So I'm not cutting holes for speaker grills I'm gonna let them play through the grill cloth.

Thanks for the feedback man that's awesome!

Lewis King
Well.. it looks pretty good to me. You may find that the air movement from the sub stage in the trunk coming through will make the cloth rise and lower rapidly and may make the adheasive come loose in that area. It may be best to open it up in my opinion.But its your work and you may find after running it a bit that it may not even be necessary? id keep an eye on it for sure man. Looks great! very nicely done by the way!!

Well.. it looks pretty good to me. You may find that the air movement from the sub stage in the trunk coming through will make the cloth rise and lower rapidly and may make the adheasive come loose in that area. It may be best to open it up in my opinion.But its your work and you may find after running it a bit that it may not even be necessary? id keep an eye on it for sure man. Looks great! very nicely done by the way!!
Thanks. What I'm going to do is apply sound deadener to the underside of it so that it keeps it from vibrating too much. Hopefully that keeps it from becoming undone. Turns out that the speaker holes are irregular and cut off at the bottom corner by the child safety seat connection points next to each.

Thanks. What I'm going to do is apply sound deadener to the underside of it so that it keeps it from vibrating too much. Hopefully that keeps it from becoming undone. Turns out that the speaker holes are irregular and cut off at the bottom corner by the child safety seat connection points next to each.
Trial and error. Every vehicle is different.I hope it turns out well man.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...