Remove glued on fabric

Original wis

CarAudio.com Regular
So I'm trying to remove the fabric from my rear deck it's glued on. Does anybody know how to remove it so I can reupholster it with black speaker fabric?
20220723_203941.jpg

Get some 409 and spray it on there and let it set for about 30 min or so.. It should come off easily. Its going to be gooey but will loosen up the tacked on glue. You can also try Goo-Gone or even 90% Alcohol

You can keep the old fabric in place and just 3m spray tac over that with the nnew fabric without removing the old also( Prob best solution and less time consumed) A wood or plastic roller and a heat gun work great to contour the new fabric in place and adhere well

Believe it or not Acetone which is also the main ingredient of nail polish remover. The glue used on fabric is made to be durable and sometime you just gotta bust out the acetone. If you do, do a test spot but you should be fine.

Yeah I'm using speaker fabric you're right.

409 and acetone I'll try those. Thanks before the tip about the heat gun and roller to form it to the shape much appreciated.
Id honestly go over the existing with 3m tac and a roller and heat gun to form. Removing the existing is a time consuming and messy tactic and really a patient concept. Easier to just go over the original/existing IMO. Less work and less time.

If you dont have a roller// a table spoon works just as well but takes a little more time. Ive had to use one when a roller broke on me once and late at night to finish up a project. Worked quite well actually

Id honestly go over the existing with 3m tac and a roller and heat gun to form. Removing the existing is a time consuming and messy tactic and really a patient concept. Easier to just go over the original/existing IMO. Less work and less time.
I was just thinking that, your last comment. Going over the existing. It looks intact without bubbles. I think it would cover easily and would be slightly thicker... maybe a reduction in vibrations.

I was just thinking that, your last comment. Going over the existing. It looks intact without bubbles. I think it would cover easily and would be slightly thicker... maybe a reduction in vibrations.
Speaker fabric is not thick at all. so it should go on easily. I would spray the 3m lightly, not heavy as it may bleed through

There are some very thin speaker box lining that is a bit thicker than the speaker fabric that I have prob 100ft of that works very nicely to form with gluing and rolling as well. if you havent looked into that? Id have to look at the thickness tomorrow to get the information on it. If you are in the lower 48, I could send you enough to cover at a dead beat price. Lt gray to match. I think I have like 400 ft left and like 48"wide

I do not have any dark gray or Black atm. I bought a 500 ft roll of Lt gray that I used in my truck to match the interior and prob still have like 400ft left

I'm using grill fabric. I'd rather take the existing off because I'm going to need to deaden the other side with foam deadener so that where it meets the metal on the rear deck there's no rattle. And I need to keep it as thin as possible because of the fit as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...