Remote Bass knobs

quackhead
10+ year member

HUH?
Anyone ever experimented with using a bass boost knob from one manufacturer on anothers' amp?

example: the bass boost knob from a Soundstream RUBI 2500 on a Planet Audio bb2400?

I have been asked several times about them being interchangable and would like to know the thoughts and experiences with this any of you might have. I'd really appreciate input.

Thanks guys and gals.

ive tried it before, a focal bass knob on an old school lightning audio amp, it worked, but it was the opposite direction for the bass boost and didnt seem to do as much as i think the actual one made for it would have done. i think it all depends on the situation though and i think you just have to try it, most use the same cable and the wiring should be close to the same because they all essentially do the same thing, but the degree to which one knob turns and changes the boost to another probably varies alot.

Personally, I do not use them and try to discourage the use of them....but it has turned into one of those major marketing items that can ensure a return customer base, if you get my drift.

I have inquired about this with a couple manufacturers and I got two consistent answers DON'T memphis said it would burn up my 16mc2000d and a while back fosgate recommended I not do it as well, and to solidify what memphis said they also told me there is no knob available anymore so it's not like they where selling me something.

I bought a profile 2000 along time ago used that remote knob on a slash 500/1 1000/1 kicker kx 2500 also alphasonic and never had any issues still using it till this day lol

The chances that bass knobs would be the same between manufacturers would be very slim. And depending on the design of the amp's boost circuit it could be possible to damage the amp. Bad idea.

The chances that bass knobs would be the same between manufacturers would be very slim. And depending on the design of the amp's boost circuit it could be possible to damage the amp. Bad idea.
this. it'd be like taking out a 5k amp, putting in a 2k amp, and turning the gain up to compensate, and then saying "i dont understand what happened."

I dislike bass knobs, I feel if you have a high powered amp that puts on like 1500 to 5000 rms, jus tune it properly. It will be loud without the knob. The knob is a good way for people who don't understand proper tuning to ruin their equipment. So I always leave them in the amp box when I get them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.