Relay?

Nsignificant

I'm trying to hookup a neon light in my trunk. I want it to be on whenever my amp is on. I have it hooked up to my 12v and grounds on my amp, but doesn't turn on. I'm thinking I might need a relay, problem is, I don't know what they are, or how to wire them.

Right now I have a 4gauge wire running to my trunk, split at a rockford splitter into 2 4gauges (I know I only need 2 8gauges). How would I wire a relay?

Or can I just hook it up to my tail lights?

Thank you.

Yes you can use a relay. It is just an electromagnetic switch that switches when it is energized, instead of when you toggle it, or when you press the button. You can do all sorts of things with them. The wiring for a SPST relay can be found online and most likely on the back of the packaging of the relay.

Are you using the remote terminal on your amplifier? You can wire a relay off of the back of your deck using the remote wire. When you power on your deck, your remote wire will power your amp and energize the coil in the relay, essentially power it "on". You can then run a fused wire from your battery to the neon light....this fused wire will be the actual wire powering the relay, the remote wire from the deck will just tell the relay when to do it. I believe the remote wire should have enought juice to energize the relay. Check the requirements on the package

I don't know as much about neon lighting but most of those have their own little transformer, correct? I don't know why it would not light when plugging into your 12v and ground at the amp. You should test the neon light separately with some test leads. Make sure that little transformer won't create any noise if you have it close to your audio stuff...I could be wrong on the noise issue.

Why would you wire it to the tail lights? Your amplifier doesn't come on with the tail lights. I don't think it's good to rapidly switch neon lights on and off anyways.

In my experience, it is best not to tap in to the existing vehicle wiring for things like this. A neon light doesn't use too much power but not a good habit to form.

The 12v+ on the amplifier is always hot is it not? All the remote does is turn the amplifier on...I had thought that you were not supposed to have things powered directly from the remote terminal of the amplifier as the internal transistor was like .5amps...I think I read that on bcae, I might be wrong though.

the amp to lead should be fine to run a led. run a relay if you want too. its easy.

87 to 12v constant with higher currnet then the lights

86 to your amp to wire since the relay switch at 250ma you should be fine

85 to gnd

30 to the lights.

the amp turn-on lead cannot power neons directly or you will damage the HU.

Assuming a standard 4 or 5 pin Bosch relay (available at any autoparts section/store)

30 to 12v constant with higher current then the lights - with a in-line fuse sized per neon recommendations and wire.

85 to your amp turn-on wire

86 to gnd

87 to the lights... and other amp remote turn-on inputs if you want to ensure you don't overload the HU remote output.

87a no connection

compared to the diagram below, bcae1 swaps 87 and 30 and also swaps 86 and 85 which is ok to do. the coil doesn't have polarity and the contacts matter when you're using a nomally closed connection.

Relays

personally, i prefer pin 30 to my voltage source since i use N.O. and N.C. from time to time. as a general rule, pin #30 is source power and 87/87a are to your loads.

here is a diagram that should add confusion since it is opposite what i suggest above, but may help you visualize these connections. this would work in your application as well.

addremacc.gif

no there not. 85 and 86 are interchangable. as long as on has power and one has gnd. this is assuming you dont use a diode in the relay.

also, 30 and 87 can be interchangable as long as your not interupting a circuit.

also, if your using a relay to drive the current to the amp and the lights you will be fine as long as the main power source your relaying off of is a sufficent current draw to run the circuit.

your tail light circuit will work well also. either way you will be fine. ifyour showing off your trunk your lights will have to be on also so dont keep it on for to long with the engine off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.