Recycle Bin Semi Active?

Participant count
  • Participant list

CapriRS

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I pulled the entire interior sans dash and steering column out of my old 83 Mercury Capri RS to sound deaden it. Not solely for audio reasons the car is just really loud. While it's all apart I figured I should upgrade the stereo from the 1995 JVC cassette deck and Pioneer speakers with rotted surrounds a previous owner installed eons ago. My budget for this is on a shoestring as there are more important issues to address such as tires. So I figured why not raid the ole parts bin! Now that I've gotten the entire floor pan covered in Kilmat it's time to start installing.

My placement options are 3.5" factory locations in the dash that a previous owner widened a bit for 4" coaxials. A 5x7 factory slot in the center of the dash. 5.25" spots I made in the kick panels with a MDF spacer ring, and 6x9 factory slots in the far rear of the hatch. I have 6x9 plates cut for 5'25's for this. I've done the big 3, and have 4 gauge OFC run to the interior. Amps will be mounted under the front seats.

My spare equipment is as follows:

Sony Bluetooth CD receiver with 3 sets of preouts

Dual DA604D 60x4 rms @4ohms class D amp

Toro Tech MR2 500x1 rms @1ohm class D mono amp

NVX NSP4 4" coaxials with silk tweeter 30w rms

Powerbass S50c 5'25" comps with silk tweeter 50w rms

Powerbass 3xl50c 5'25" comps with titanium tweeter 80w rms 3ohm

Empty sealed .7cf 10" sub box with 5.7" mounting depth

At first I was going to run the 4's in the dash, and a pair of the comps in the back, but the hamster starting running in that wheel I call my brain. The 3xl's are the nicest speakers of the lot, awesome midbass drivers, but I hate the sound of the ti tweeters, and the 3ohm impedence makes me iffy about running different tweets with them. So I came up with this idea.....

NVX 4's in the dash run off the front channels of the amp with the high pass crossover set @350hz

The S50c Midbass in the rear hatch also run off the front channels of the amp high pass @350hz. This would give me a 2ohm load and an optimistic 80w rms(more like 55 is my guess)
I'm not sure where to put the tweets or whether I should use them at all? Kick panels? Rear Hatch? Center of dash? The midbass themselves are so far back they wont mess with my soundstage.

The Kevlar 3xl midbass in the kickpanels run off the rear channels @3ohms high passed @80 or 100hz from the Sony crossover, and lowpassed at 350hz from the amp crossover. Or I could use it's crossover network if I wanted to run it however high that goes. Ti tweets in nearest trash can!

10 inch 1ohm sub like an IDQ10 or Sundown E series or a Cerwin Vega or something in that sealed box until I build one in the spare tire well.

Is this a bad idea given my options? I normally keep it a lot simpler with my mains, but I'm also usually selecting my equipment from scratch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CapriRS

CarAudio.com Newbie
CapriRS
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
CapriRS