Recone an Orion 2NT?

Zeptoplix
10+ year member

Hey,

I have an old Orion 2NT that I picked up for $25 from a guy. Rated at 1000W RMS Dual four ohm coils.

Pretty sure there is a problem with it, either the suspension is incredibly weak and worn, or there is some other mechanical damge. When I turned it up, using both coils with my MTCtc400, I could hear a clicking or hitting sound, but only when I used both coils; but I chalked this up to a poor enclosure the previous owner had built that was leaking air like crazy.

Had a new enclosure put together, with a 3" aero port, and it should be tuned right around 30hz based on the t/s, box volume and port length as per winisd. Same problem. The output is better and more controlled, however still having the same issue. It's fine at low volumes, but once you turn it up to get any real output the sub mechanically starts bottoming out.

Is there any way to recone these subs with different parts?

I wouldn't recone it with anything other than the original cone/dust cap, because then you lose the nostalgia of it. Try an get someone to attach a new spider and coil onto the current cone.

I have one of these too, a 10" S4. there is no sticker on the back of the magnet and the cone is just a regular thick paper, not Carbon Fiber as I have seen on some online. My suspension is sagging, but it still sounds good, what size voice coil do these have? Are these worth anything to collectors? I want an 8" for my Rio instead of this.

John

I have one of these too, a 10" S4. there is no sticker on the back of the magnet and the cone is just a regular thick paper, not Carbon Fiber as I have seen on some online. My suspension is sagging, but it still sounds good, what size voice coil do these have? Are these worth anything to collectors? I want an 8" for my Rio instead of this.
John
My guess is that yours has been reconed. They aren't worth near as much that way. Still, the basket and motor are worth something.

Not sure on the coil size...My guess is 2.5" for the 12", just a rough guestimate based on looking at it a while ago.

Hi,

Been a while since I posted an update.

I took the sub out of the box yesterday to do some messing around with it.

With little movement free air I can hear that popping/hitting sound. It does not happen constant, it seems to be random, and is extremely irritating. I unhooked it and took a close look at the spider, I did not see any tears in it. However, it does look pretty dried out, and the cone moves extremely easy, not like the JBLs I ran the **** out of for three years. I can effortlessly fully extend the cone.

Also It seems like the spider is slightly uneven around the cone fully extended in one spot. I notice the strength of the motor doesn't seem like its on par with similar sized units I've used in the past. For example, I put the sub down on some screws, and it barely picked them up. Perhaps this unit is just tired and old..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.