Recommendations: Single 10" Ported or 12" Sealed? What would you do?

Cartunez
10+ year member

Earth
I just wanted some advice for which direction I should go. I don't want my trunk to be unusable. I want an sql sub if possible. I really would like to get some good lows out of the sub. The space for the box is about 15h x 38w and I would like to save as much depth as possible. I'm thinking I shouldn't spend more than $300-$350 a sub. And I have done extensive research and cant make up my mind.

Thanks for the responses

a ported 10 will be louder then a sealed 12

how much power you looking to throw at it or dont you have the amp yet?

on those specs are you sure that will fit into the trunk opening? if its a trunk car?

Anyway since many subs are 6" or more deep your looking at least 8"overall depth

With a slot port your getting in to 12" territory as far as volume or a heavy 10" which will prob be deeper and need a deeper box again so you may as well go 12"

Shiva X2 would be a good choice, or the AE subs or AA Havoc

I was thinking of the MB Quart 1500.1. But Im thinking that may be a lot of power. I would like it to get loud and low. Can a ported ten do that?

Is there a significant loss with lows and accuracy between a 10" ported vs a sealed 12"? How much more space would a ported 12" take over a 10"? Is there a sub out there that wont take over my trunk?

I have read good things about the SSA stuff. I originally was thinking about the 12" XCON but that seemed like it needs a lot of space.

Is there a significant loss with lows and accuracy between a 10" ported vs a sealed 12"? How much more space would a ported 12" take over a 10"? Is there a sub out there that wont take over my trunk?
did u read my post?

an SSA Icon 10" is recommended for 1-1.5 cubic feet ported. u can run lots of 12" subs in 1-1.75 cubic feet.

u can run an AE AV12-X in 1 cubic foot box. it has some of the best sq a sub can have, very very low distortion. 1000 watts, lots of xmax, it still gets just as loud as ssa dcons, ssa icons

The box volume isn't all you have to consider when talking about a ported setup. You have to consider the displacement of the port as well. When you start talking about really small boxes and the low tuning that you'll need to get good low end response out of the system, the port displacement might well end up bigger than the actual enclosure volume. I basically abandoned my project for a pair of IXL 10s because they wanted around .7 cf each tuned to something really low (don't remember off the top of my head what) and by the time I accounted for enough port area, port displacement was over 1cf per sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.