Recommendations for SQ Front Stage Components?

Aww come on @tat2bass ; some of us here are SQeers! Seriously, though, I understand where you're coming from since not everyone who has a penchant for SQ isn't really on here too often (all things in moderation, right?).

If you're looking for a good all-arounder set of components, I would recommend the following:

JBL MS-62C - I have a pretty decent writeup of my impressions of them on here. They work really well if you properly deaden your doors and EXCEL on playing live instruments like acoustic guitars, drums, etc. Not the best at keeping up with artificial bass, so plan to have a sub stage that doesn't mind being crossed higher (100Hz) to make up for the MS woofer's shortfalls. The tweeters on these are HEAVENLY. Like, seriously, the best metal domes I've heard so far. Do extremely well mounted off axis, haven't had a chance to try them on axis yet.

PHD FB 6.1 Pro Kit - Here's where you get your midbass package. Another great all-around woofer that, if you can't have a sub in your setup, will do well enough with producing a good amount of sub-bass frequencies (I can get it to play with authority down to about 45Hz before it starts falling off). These seem to do a little bit better out of the box on staging than the JBL. I currently run the FB mids with my JBL comps (just replaced the MS mid) and they do very well together.

Focal PS165 - Has already been recommended here and for good reason. This is where the Focals start to get good and are a smart choice for those who can't afford the Power or Be series. Polyglass are also well-done woofers. People do complain, though, that the tweeters on these can be very harsh. In all reality, this component set is very install-dependent. You can't just slap these in the stock locations and expect them to not require a TON of EQ to correct for peaky response. The JBLs, actually, are the most forgiving of a sub-par install with the PHD coming in right behind them.

Rainbow SLC - Yes, the brand is called Rainbow. Yes, it sounds corny. But these German-made beasts kinda do everything extremely well. Gives a much warmer sound than most components in the price range with nice, laid back tweets. I actually miss my Rainbows a lot and am still kinda chasing that sound signature.

Pioneer TS-D1720C - The budget diamond in the rough...if you have the ability to go active. Take away the passive crossovers on these and tweak your settings a bit and both the tweet and woofer really start to shine. Of course, if you can support going active, raw drivers are still your best bet.

[quote name='neo_styles']Aww come on @tat2bass ; some of us here are SQeers! Seriously, though, I understand where you're coming from since not everyone who has a penchant for SQ isn't really on here too often (all things in moderation, right?).

If you're looking for a good all-arounder set of components, I would recommend the following:

JBL MS-62C - I have a pretty decent writeup of my impressions of them on here. They work really well if you properly deaden your doors and EXCEL on playing live instruments like acoustic guitars, drums, etc. Not the best at keeping up with artificial bass, so plan to have a sub stage that doesn't mind being crossed higher (100Hz) to make up for the MS woofer's shortfalls. The tweeters on these are HEAVENLY. Like, seriously, the best metal domes I've heard so far. Do extremely well mounted off axis, haven't had a chance to try them on axis yet.

PHD FB 6.1 Pro Kit - Here's where you get your midbass package. Another great all-around woofer that, if you can't have a sub in your setup, will do well enough with producing a good amount of sub-bass frequencies (I can get it to play with authority down to about 45Hz before it starts falling off). These seem to do a little bit better out of the box on staging than the JBL. I currently run the FB mids with my JBL comps (just replaced the MS mid) and they do very well together.

Focal PS165 - Has already been recommended here and for good reason. This is where the Focals start to get good and are a smart choice for those who can't afford the Power or Be series. Polyglass are also well-done woofers. People do complain, though, that the tweeters on these can be very harsh. In all reality, this component set is very install-dependent. You can't just slap these in the stock locations and expect them to not require a TON of EQ to correct for peaky response. The JBLs, actually, are the most forgiving of a sub-par install with the PHD coming in right behind them.

Rainbow SLC - Yes, the brand is called Rainbow. Yes, it sounds corny. But these German-made beasts kinda do everything extremely well. Gives a much warmer sound than most components in the price range with nice, laid back tweets. I actually miss my Rainbows a lot and am still kinda chasing that sound signature.

Pioneer TS-D1720C - The budget diamond in the rough...if you have the ability to go active. Take away the passive crossovers on these and tweak your settings a bit and both the tweet and woofer really start to shine. Of course, if you can support going active, raw drivers are still your best bet.[/QUOTE]

Wow thanks for the great response! I'm planning on completely sound deadening my car. I also just picked up that CDT amp.
I am currently looking into Hybrid, Focal, GermanMAESTRO, and PHD lol guess ill add Rainbow in.
What would you recommend looking for in used condition out of the pricier speakers? Also random question, what do you personally use for sound deadening?

Thanks again for the great info!

Looking into purchasing a good set of SQ components for my front stage. What are some recommendations you guys can make? I'm not looking for loudness, looking for audiophile mids and highs. I listen to EVERYTHING so I need something that can keep up.
I have a new set of the Infinity Kappa 60.9cs. I hear they are no good though...

We can call the budget, ahh $300.

The amplifier that I plan on using will more then likely be the CDT Audio SQA-4075.

Thanks
We have a used Audio Development W60 set. Made in Italy and is a fantastic SQ set. It has been tested and works perfectly. $150 shipped to you!

install can make the most expensive and best speakers ever sound like crap..... just a heads up... i'd sound deadin your car first (dynamat ect ect) and see how those infinitys go! they aren't actually too bad of a speaker

Hybrid Audio Technologies(HAT) Imagine is always a good choice in that price range.Thinking of going with those pretty soon.
I think there are great for the money if you run the active with a sharp crossover slope on the tweeters (like 12-24dB at 5000HZ or higher). Right now I tun HAT Imagine active with active crossovers provided by the Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit. However, I never fully liked HAT Imagine speakers with the stock passive crossovers. Almost certainly, the Focal PS165 are _very_ similar to the HAT Imagine. The woofer cone is made from paper, and the tweeter is very high resonance (like 3000Hz or so) using only a 1st or 2nd order passive crossover. In this setup you want to be able to set a high pass crossover for the tweeter at 5000Hz or maybe higher with a sharp slope. Basically, both, Focan and Imagine, will sound great with active crossover and a lot of tuning. I'd pick JBL MS-62C to run with the stock passive crossovers.

I think there are great for the money if you run the active with a sharp crossover slope on the tweeters (like 12-24dB at 5000HZ or higher). Right now I tun HAT Imagine active with active crossovers provided by the Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit. However, I never fully liked HAT Imagine speakers with the stock passive crossovers. Almost certainly, the Focal PS165 are _very_ similar to the HAT Imagine. The woofer cone is made from paper, and the tweeter is very high resonance (like 3000Hz or so) using only a 1st or 2nd order passive crossover. In this setup you want to be able to set a high pass crossover for the tweeter at 5000Hz or maybe higher with a sharp slope. Basically, both, Focan and Imagine, will sound great with active crossover and a lot of tuning. I'd pick JBL MS-62C to run with the stock passive crossovers.
Okay so here is something I do not understand. When running a SQ system is it best to run Active or Passive?

BTW thank for the great info!

install can make the most expensive and best speakers ever sound like crap..... just a heads up... i'd sound deadin your car first (dynamat ect ect) and see how those infinitys go! they aren't actually too bad of a speaker
Yeah that I 110% understand lol. Was looking into the CLD Tiles, pretty expensive though. It will cost me 500ish to do my Jetta. What is a good runner up?

This is currently what I have on hand.

Head Unit - Kenwood KDC-X997

Amplifier - CDT Audio SQA-4075, Yamaha YPA 750

Speakers - Infinity Kappa 60.9cs, MB Quart DKE 108

Subwoofer - TC Epic 8 (2)

Wiring - KnuKonceptz KCA Kable

I plan on putting the Kappa's in the rear deck.

Yeah that I 110% understand lol. Was looking into the CLD Tiles, pretty expensive though. It will cost me 500ish to do my Jetta. What is a good runner up?
You don't need to spend anywhere close to $500 on CLD deadener for a Jetta. The purpose of CLD products is to treat flat metal or plastic surfaces to reduce the resonant frequency. While most people do 100% coverage with this type of product it's not the best use of your money.

You don't need to spend anywhere close to $500 on CLD deadener for a Jetta. The purpose of CLD products is to treat flat metal or plastic surfaces to reduce the resonant frequency. While most people do 100% coverage with this type of product it's not the best use of your money.
What is your opinion on treating the doors with CLD deadener and the rest of the car with second skin? See my issue is my jetta is a 87 Diesel. So I'm trying to treat it for multiple noise sources //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wallbash.gif.1310150c49dd52e0fbe1813a0681e5c3.gif One of the reasons to do almost 100%. But I am all open to suggestions.

What is your opinion on treating the doors with CLD deadener and the rest of the car with second skin? See my issue is my jetta is a 87 Diesel. So I'm trying to treat it for multiple noise sources //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wallbash.gif.1310150c49dd52e0fbe1813a0681e5c3.gif One of the reasons to do almost 100%. But I am all open to suggestions.
Spend some time reading Sound Deadener Showdown's site. There is a lot of excellent information on sound deadening for the car. You can't use one type of product to treat multiple problems. CLD deadener is not a good sound barrier, like closed cell foam is not good at absorbing sound, and like mass loaded vinyl is not useful to form a gasket. You'll understand once you look at SDS.

Spend some time reading Sound Deadener Showdown's site. There is a lot of excellent information on sound deadening for the car. You can't use one type of product to treat multiple problems. CLD deadener is not a good sound barrier, like closed cell foam is not good at absorbing sound, and like mass loaded vinyl is not useful to form a gasket. You'll understand once you look at SDS.
From reading his site, which is very informative. I personally understood that if I use the CCF, MLV, and CLD together I could dampen a good amount of sound.

Thats why I said it would be 500 to do my car. Unless I misunderstood his information???

This is definitely the hardest project I've done to date...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.